none
Add Exclusions for Security Essentials for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Need to add exclusions for Security Essentials for Windows 7, tried it as SYSTEM and with admin rights. 

It's possible to use powershell to add exclusion in Windows 10 example: "Add-MpPreference -ExclusionPath "C:\temp"" but it doesnt work for Windows 7 and can't edit the registry, i'm getting "Access denied" when I try. 

I need to do this for over a lot of computers (different organizations), so can't do it manually. Need to automate it.

Help?

Friday, September 1, 2017 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have seen a similar issue which customer try to change MSE with a third party tool but encounted with access deny error.

It is caused by design, process/path exclusions cannot be done directly into the resigtry in Windows 7. The changes can be done through the UI though. This is part of hardening measures done to secure the client.

After all, Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be used for private or small business (up to 10 devices). I hope you could understand the condition and hope it is useful for you.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi, 

I have not heard from you for several days, was the issue resolved?

Please contact with me if you have any concern.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:59 AM