Request User Input RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the latest RC build (7.0.5813.0). My current objective is to setup a facility for us to email affected users notifying them that further information is required.

I've configured a template to include "Has Analyst Comment" > "Comment", and I've configured a workflow (triggered when incident status changes from Active to Pending). Analysts select "Request User Input" from the task pane, enter their comment and the notification is sent correctly, appending the comment they have entered.

Customer then replies (to a reply address mailbox), analyst copies the information into the incident action log, and sets the status back to active. However, if the analyst uses the "Request User Input" task again it appends all the comments from the action log into the template (in one line, making it difficult to work out the latest update).

Is there a way to send just the latest comment only?

Or alternitavely set all the comments on seperate lines making it easier to read? (I could then add the entered date to make it simple for the user to understand).

Thanks

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:42 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately we cannot do "most recent comment", but I can help with your alternative:

Let me suggest the Group tag.  If you do something like this

<Group>

[analyst comment token]

</Group>

Your output will be each comment on its own line.

This group tag will be featured in a blog post shortly, and it allows you to iterate over all items in a related property.  Its primary function is to allow you to create a table or something of that nature with all related items, but it can also be used in this situation to give you custom formatting for just one element.

Notice the capital letters, and the newline between the analyst comment token and the closing </Group> tag.  This is for non-html emails, but if you use it for html emails you will want to put a <br> before the closing tag.

If any of the above does not make sense please ask.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Glad to help out.  We are currently not able to sort this unfortunately, but I filed a bug on this issue so we can improve this in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Rod

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • One other suggestion that I would add here is to put a specific dedicated field on the incident form via extending the model and customizing the form to capture the specific comment to be sent to the end user.  Then trigger a workflow based on this field being changed.  It could then put the value in that field in the email message to the user.  Would this work?
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:14 AM
  • This bug (ID: 169893 for reference) has been fixed in SP1.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately we cannot do "most recent comment", but I can help with your alternative:

Let me suggest the Group tag.  If you do something like this

<Group>

[analyst comment token]

</Group>

Your output will be each comment on its own line.

This group tag will be featured in a blog post shortly, and it allows you to iterate over all items in a related property.  Its primary function is to allow you to create a table or something of that nature with all related items, but it can also be used in this situation to give you custom formatting for just one element.

Notice the capital letters, and the newline between the analyst comment token and the closing </Group> tag.  This is for non-html emails, but if you use it for html emails you will want to put a <br> before the closing tag.

If any of the above does not make sense please ask.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Rod,

Thanks for that, it works well in that it spaces the comments and is much easier on the eye. The only problem I have now is that the comments don't appear in the order they were placed in the action log.

For example in the incident action log I have comments at - 22:38:52, 22:41:35 and 22:41:54.

But in the notification they are listed - 22:41:54, 22:38:52 and 22:41:35. Please see example below:

Dear *****

The service desk has requested further information regarding your incident:

3/24/2010 22:41:54

Comment : Can you please send me a screenshot

3/24/2010 22:38:52

Comment : Does the error occur when you initally open the application?

3/24/2010 22:41:35

Comment : Hi, no the error appears when I select run from the task bar, thanks.

Is there a way to force the comments to list in date / time order?

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Glad to help out.  We are currently not able to sort this unfortunately, but I filed a bug on this issue so we can improve this in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Rod

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • I've just been working on this very problem!

It's a shame as it would all work perfectly if there was a way of only sending the most recent comment!

Adam

comdot
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:53 PM
  • One other suggestion that I would add here is to put a specific dedicated field on the incident form via extending the model and customizing the form to capture the specific comment to be sent to the end user.  Then trigger a workflow based on this field being changed.  It could then put the value in that field in the email message to the user.  Would this work?
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Thanks for the suggestion. Request User Input captures the comment, and the workflow triggers to send the comment to the affected user via a template. Correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't creating another field for comments just be duplicating the funcionality we already have with Request User Input?

Were having to copy and paste updates into incidents, and send email updates manually from a mailbox which as you can appreciate is very time consuming and opens us up to human error (pasting updates into the wrong incident etc). Would be much simpler if we could email out updates / comments direct from the app itself.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:35 AM
  • Sure - I completely agree with you.  We need to make this lifecycle of communication between the analysts and the affected users much better.  Just trying to provide some temporary workarounds until we get this fixed up.

In the suggestion I provided above, you can send the exact question/comment to the user rather than the entire action log.  Yes, it duplicates functionality, but it would do it in a better way.  :)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:53 AM
  • I'm with you now Travis, apologies I mis interpreted your suggestion. Great I'll have a go at that.

Thanks for the update.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

I have been looking at this blog and I have tried to set up my notification to group the Analyst comment however I cant get it to work.

Can you please advise exactly what you entered in the template notification to get it to group the comment?

Thanks Sally

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:12 AM
  • You need to enter the opening and closing <Group> tags around the analyst comment token.

<Group>

Insert the token for the analyst comment by clicking the Insert... button.

</Group>

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:49 PM
  • This bug (ID: 169893 for reference) has been fixed in SP1.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Travis, I wasn't able to find the SP1 you are talking about. Only a Cumulative Update 3, which didn't solve the issue of most recent comment.

Thanks in advance.

Gertjan

Monday, October 4, 2010 12:04 PM
  • SP1 is not released yet. There is no official date scheduled for this release as far as I know.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Ah, it sounded that it was already released.

Is there a more descriptive explanation for travise's workaround with the custom field on the incident form, that will send only that coment to the enduser? I'm trying to figure it out on my own in authoring tool, but to no avail. A short walk-through would be most appreciated. Thanks

Gertjan

Monday, October 4, 2010 1:51 PM
  • This workaround will be included in the upcoming "resource kit" announced here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/09/07/coming-soon-system-center-service-manager-resource-kit.aspx

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Monday, October 4, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using SCSM 2010 SP1 and tried this to include the text in the e-mail to the user. The problem is that log entries marked as "Private" in the Action log is also included. This must be a bug?

Is there a possibility to add the date between the messages?

// Regards

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:22 AM
  • It's not really a "bug" per se that we include the private messages. The thing to keep in mind is that Service Manager is a model-driven system. There is very little code in the product that is special cased for things like this scenario. You can include the time stamps by inserting the Entered Date property. There is a much better solution for requesting user input now than using the action log. Check out the Send Email solution that ships with the Exchange connector. http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/01/07/exchange-connector-released.aspx
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Travis I dont believe this is a special case function. I would consider this a very basic function of any service management software in the market place. I feel that this issue should be addressed as it impact basic communication between anaylst and enduser.

Considering that SP1 is out, can we simply have the actual message the anaylst wants to send only. No history?

The send connector that's 'not supported' seems to be able to capture the 'message' field just fine. Why can't the 'Request user input'.

Appoligies for my tone, it;s just a little frustrating.

Thanks.  

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:27 AM
  • We are working to improve this.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:41 PM