AD MP: Help to understand performance units RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have some problems to understand the units in performance views of the AD MP: are they in s, ms, or ...

E.g. for AD Client Monitoring the MP guide says, that Client LDAP Ping and Bind are measured in seconds. Looking at the performance data (scale 1x) the average value is around 7000 (!) on the y-axis. Does this really mean 7000 seconds aka about 2 hours???
    FYI: Client ADSI Bind and Search time max is 1.

Another one: looking at DC Response Time I estimate an average of 2.5 from the graph, with spike going up to 3.2. Is this 3.2 seconds? And how does it relate to the "AD General Response Task" that I can run form the Actions pane? From that task I get a value of 0.031 seconds back (for the same DC).

My environment is 5 DCs running almost idle (50 users, 50 computers, around 15 servers including SCOM) for they are freshly installed. All DCs are W2K8R2, AD in W2K8R2 native mode. Client (for the means of AD client perspective) is an almost idle W2K8R2. All machines (except one DC) running on VMware ESX.
    All DCs run AD integrated DNS. SCOM showing that fewer than 2 queries are received per second, but Local Resolution Times chart shows an avarage of 3.x (seconds???). IMHO and from running nslookup DNS requests should be answered in far less than 1 second.

Any light in my cognitive shadows is welcome :-)

Kind regards
    Carsten

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:28 AM

Answers

• Im guessing the first part.. measurement units.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:27 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:11 AM

All replies

• I seem to remember a discussion about this some time back, but cant find it that quickly. And my head seems to be in the shadows as well. The four test scom systems I have here all dont have the ad client monitoring part.

As you say a bind time of 7000 seconds would be a bit too interesting. But actually also ms would be a bit long I guess, although it is more likely. In some cases it is possible to find the rule by clicking on the performance counter in the list under the graph and rightclick and go for Show or edit rule properties. Next go for Configuration tab. Datasources part, click the view button. Try to find what counter they are looking at and pick up the perfmon on that box and see what its default measurement value is.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Looking into the Datasources does lead to nowhere. But it is a script with it's own time measurement. The VBscript code reveals that the ADSI bind time is in milliseconds.

But I have to agree, almost 7 seconds seem to be to long for idle DCs. In the script there is something like oOOMADs.BindObject("LDAP://" & strFQMN & "/RootDSE") and then a diff using the last bind.

What is the time one should expect for the ADSI Bind part? Yes, that will vary from AD to AD, but I am sure you have reasonable frames or better: expectations. I would say: an ADSI bind should complete in 1 or 2 seconds.

Using ADSI edit it takes around 4-5 second to bind to the default naming context using a certain DC. Looking through the Operations Manger event logs, I see bind times of around 2.5 seconds, except for the only hardware DC (all others are VMs), which shows bind times of 6.5 to 7 seconds. And this should be the most powerfull machine (decent server hardware, not sharing with other VMs, three RAID volumes on different disks for system disk, AD data and AD logs,...). Well, this machine is holding each FSMO role, but RID. All DCs are DNS and GC (single domain forest).

Any ideas where to look?

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Milliseconds ....
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:49 PM
  • You are right in wanting to expect the performance of the physical machine with more resources to react faster than the virtuals.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Milliseconds ....
    Microsoft Corporation

Dan, do you intend to say the measurement units are milliseconds or that ADSI Bind should complete in milliseconds?
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Im guessing the first part.. measurement units.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:27 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:11 AM