locked
Automatic replies (OOF) not working for default mailbox database RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I have a really interesting problem on an SBS 2011 with Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3:

    When users with a mailbox on the default mailbox database activate automatic replies, activation works flawless (Outlook and OWA), but no replies are sent out (internal and external).

    Also after activating automatic replies using OWA, logging off and logging back in there is no notification that automatic replies are activated, though the settings say it's active.

    After moving the mailbox to another mailbox database, everything works as expected.

    There are no errors or warnings in the eventlogs an the problem was there before installing UR3.

    The only thing worth mentioning is that the mailboxes were migrated from a SBS 2003 installation.

    Any ideas on solving this without moving all mailboxes to another database?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     

    Regards,

    Alexander

    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

  • I ran Test-AssistantHealth (without parameters) today and now the automatic replies are working.

    Either that or the creation of the test database yesterday with one moved mailbox (and possibly nightly maintenance) solved the issue.

    I did not restart any services or anything. OOF now works for all mailboxes.

    Strange, but at least it works...

     

    Thanks to all contributors.

    • Marked as answer by nextracom Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:41 PM

All replies

  • How were these mailboxes migrated?
    If it is specific to the database then I wouldn't have any hesitation in replacing the database by moving the users to a new one. Nice simple risk free approach. There is probably something brought across that is left behind and allows it to be set correctly.

    Simon.


    Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:58 PM
  • I like Sembee's reply, but do check the event log and see if anything is being logged. Also, ensure the Exchange Services are all running and restart the Mailbox Asst service for giggles

     


    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

    I'd like to share one  useful article to you:

    Troubleshooting Out of Office

    http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/tools/troubleshooting-out-of-office.html

    Besides, since issue could be solved by move to another database, then I recommend you to run ExBPA to see if any database related error would be logged there.

    Update Rollup 3-v3 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2529939)

    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=165

    Xiu

    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:20 AM
  • It was a standard SBS migration which went smoothly (everything by the book) - the mailboxes were migrated with a local move request.

    Interestingly even new mailboxes which were not migrated are effected.

    Somehow it seems that the services reponsible for handling automatic replies cannot access the database correctly or is not configured to do so.

    I was looking for an in-depth description on how the replies are handled by exchange but could not find anything, especially not in the technet library.

    The only thing keeping me from moving all mailboxes (including arbitrary) is that I don't know if the SBS assistants are somehow linked to the default database.

    If it were a standalone exchange installation I would not hesitate.

     

    Regards,

    Alex 


    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:23 AM
  • The services are all running and there are no warnings or errors in the eventlogs (default log levels).

    I also compared the event entries that are set upon activating automatic replies with a working SBS 2011 installation and get the same events. 

    I already restarted the mailbox assistant service but it did not change anything.

    Though I think it is this service or any other involved which cannot access the default database correctly.

     

    Regards,

    Alex

    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:27 AM
  • I ran Test-AssistantHealth (without parameters) today and now the automatic replies are working.

    Either that or the creation of the test database yesterday with one moved mailbox (and possibly nightly maintenance) solved the issue.

    I did not restart any services or anything. OOF now works for all mailboxes.

    Strange, but at least it works...

     

    Thanks to all contributors.

    • Marked as answer by nextracom Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:41 PM