Does the picture meta data I enter in Windows Photo Gallery get transferred when I copy/move the picture? RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to use Windows Photo Gallery for all of my photo management needs, but I am wondering if the metadata that gets attached to a photo when I enter such data thru Windows Photo Gallery or Windows Explorer, if that data will move with the picture in the event that I copy it to an external hard-drive for example.

I understand such metadata may not be visible if viewed on a machine with XP, but if I viewed it on another Vista Machine later on I would expect the metadata to be there.

Thanks for your insight,

Nathaniel B

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hello Nathaniel,

Windows Photo Gallery and Explorer on vista actually store the metadata in the file itself, thus it will be transferrable from machine to machine and XP to Vista.  It actually stores it in IPTC properties which can also be read by other popular programs such as ACDSee.  Thus a Windows XP program could read the properties using another photo manager that supports IPTC.  Note that there is also the option to "Remove properties and personal information"

John

References:

IPTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Press_Telecommunications_Council

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not my employers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:16 PM