none
Installing Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 in Windows 10

Question

• Hi,

I just downloaded Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. And the downloaded file is an iso file.

I would like to install Hyper-V Server on my Desktop Computer.

The operating system installed in the Desktop Computer is Windows 10 Enterprise.

In Windows 10, I have seen how to enable Hyper-V which can be done either by Control Panel or by PowerShell. Its all about Hyper-V Client. And I have to install Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 iso.

Please let me know, how to install Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 iso in Windows 10?

Regards
    InTech

Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, but you can run Hyper-V in Windows 10 as well.
    Please check the following article how to enable Hyper-v in Windows 10 OS.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/09/08/step-by-step-enabling-hyper-v-for-use-on-windows-10/

After enabling Hyper-V from your Windows 10 you can install server 2012R2 as a virtual machine in your hyper-v environment.

If you want to run 2012r2 in your physical hardware you need to install it either:
    - clean install, this will install windows 2012r2 on your hard disk and you will lose all of the existing data so you don't have windows 10 anymore. you need to backup your files before the clean installation.
    - you could also use dual boot option if you have enough free space on your hard disk.

The server 2012r2 iso file which you have downloaded contains the server operating system as well.

Regards,
    -Tomi

Tomi Pietilä

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Blog
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Saturday, March 11, 2017 7:45 PM
  •   If you install Hyper-V Server from the ISO it will overwrite Windows 10. Don't do it unless you are sure you do not want to keep Windows 10.

If your hardware is compatible and you have Windows 10 Pro or higher (not Home) you can enable Hyper-V in Windows 10, as Tomi said above.

Bill

Saturday, March 11, 2017 10:43 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:47 AM