none
Integrate HIS 2000 with a .NET component RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm working with HIS 2000 and I need to consume its integration components how can i do that from a .NET assembly?

best regards

Luis Diego Rojas. http://icomparable.blogspot.com
    MCP, MCTS Biztalk Server, MCTS WCF
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:22 PM

Answers

• First, I am sure that someone would love to point out that HIS 2000 is way out of supportability...are you really trying to use it?

Second: in HIS2004/6/9/10 we directly support .NET integration of various parts of HIS - obviously an upgrade to HIS2009 or HIS2010 would be handy.

I am guessing that you want to use Application Integration (it was called COMTI in HIS2000); if this is the case, then you can call the COMTI components from your .NET application just like any other COM components...if you are lucky com-interop will handle everything for you. Its a long time since we did THAT, so I can't remember the gotchas! :-)

Rob

• Marked as answer by Luis D. Rojas Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:38 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I know it is obsolete, but a customer has a big application running on it that connects to a mainframe and he says he is so pleasent on how it works that he does not want me to port it to a new version of HIS - which I know is now part of the biztalk server bits. The thing here is that he wants me to integrate his HIS 2000 application with a Cloud Application written by other software vendor and he want this done with Biztalk server 2009. So, the cloud Application is already resolved using WCF- Adapters, now I have to finish the other end which includes interacting with HIS 2000, so that is why I'm asking how this Applications written in HIS 2000 are consumed by Biztalk. The main responses I've had are in that direction that you point out... write a .net wrapper and consume the .NET component from Biztalk Server.

Best Regards

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hi Rojas

In addition to Rob's excellent advice ... HIS 2000 and HIS 2009 are very forwardly compatible, for network and application integration. In other words, if the customer's application is running very well on HIS 2000, it is likely to run very well on HIS 2009 without much porting work required. Just run up a new HIS 2009 server, and copy the application across. It is unlikely any code would need to be re-written; at most, a few minor configuration changes would be needed. Some testing and post-implementation verification may be required; but only to the level for a very straightforward, low risk IT project.

On the other hand, the facilities in HIS 2009 for developing .NET applications are much better than in HIS 2000: more tools and features, better performance, much better reliability, and you get a supportable and maintainable solution. If you use HIS 2000 you will need to access HIS APIs via Unmanaged code, or by COM Interop (wrapping a COMTI component in your own .NET wrapper). Either course will introduce many opportunities for bugs, lost performance and stability, and make the solution difficult to maintain and carry forward in future.

HIS 2009 is *licensed* as part of BizTalk Server, that is true. But you can install a copy of HIS 2009 without any BizTalk components at all, if you do not need them. Despite the label on the DVD, the software which is actually installed on teh machine is HIS, pure and simple.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:41 PM

All replies

• First, I am sure that someone would love to point out that HIS 2000 is way out of supportability...are you really trying to use it?

Second: in HIS2004/6/9/10 we directly support .NET integration of various parts of HIS - obviously an upgrade to HIS2009 or HIS2010 would be handy.

I am guessing that you want to use Application Integration (it was called COMTI in HIS2000); if this is the case, then you can call the COMTI components from your .NET application just like any other COM components...if you are lucky com-interop will handle everything for you. Its a long time since we did THAT, so I can't remember the gotchas! :-)

Rob

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I know it is obsolete, but a customer has a big application running on it that connects to a mainframe and he says he is so pleasent on how it works that he does not want me to port it to a new version of HIS - which I know is now part of the biztalk server bits. The thing here is that he wants me to integrate his HIS 2000 application with a Cloud Application written by other software vendor and he want this done with Biztalk server 2009. So, the cloud Application is already resolved using WCF- Adapters, now I have to finish the other end which includes interacting with HIS 2000, so that is why I'm asking how this Applications written in HIS 2000 are consumed by Biztalk. The main responses I've had are in that direction that you point out... write a .net wrapper and consume the .NET component from Biztalk Server.

Best Regards

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hi Rojas

In addition to Rob's excellent advice ... HIS 2000 and HIS 2009 are very forwardly compatible, for network and application integration. In other words, if the customer's application is running very well on HIS 2000, it is likely to run very well on HIS 2009 without much porting work required. Just run up a new HIS 2009 server, and copy the application across. It is unlikely any code would need to be re-written; at most, a few minor configuration changes would be needed. Some testing and post-implementation verification may be required; but only to the level for a very straightforward, low risk IT project.

On the other hand, the facilities in HIS 2009 for developing .NET applications are much better than in HIS 2000: more tools and features, better performance, much better reliability, and you get a supportable and maintainable solution. If you use HIS 2000 you will need to access HIS APIs via Unmanaged code, or by COM Interop (wrapping a COMTI component in your own .NET wrapper). Either course will introduce many opportunities for bugs, lost performance and stability, and make the solution difficult to maintain and carry forward in future.

HIS 2009 is *licensed* as part of BizTalk Server, that is true. But you can install a copy of HIS 2009 without any BizTalk components at all, if you do not need them. Despite the label on the DVD, the software which is actually installed on teh machine is HIS, pure and simple.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:41 PM