none
DPM 2012 SP1 Secondary Protection Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We currently have two DPM 2012 SP1 servers in our network (DPM1, DPM2).  The two DPM servers are set to protect each other (DPM1 protects DPM2 and DPM2 protects DPM1).  I believe this is considered "cyclic" protection.  DPM1 also protects other servers in our environment, with DPM2 providing secondary protection that is enabled through DPM1.  The majority of these are Hyper-V guests.

When I try adding servers to DPM2 (servers that are protected by DPM1, so I am adding them by expanding the DPM1 resource from the Available members list when configuring the protection groups), I am continually met with this error

"Operation failed since the protected data source size had not been calculated for \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\Guest-Server on Host.Company.com prior to running this operation. (ID: 31000)

Ensure that Get-DatasourceDiskAllocation and Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation are executed successfully prior to running this operation."

How I am doing it is Protection -> New Protection -> Select Protection group type (Servers) -> Select group members (Expand DPM1 in Domain.com, select protected server resources) -> Select data protection method (disk)

And that's when I receive the error, when DPM2 is calculating the disk space.

My question: what exactly am I doing wrong, if anything?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

Did you come right or do you still need help?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:13 PM
  • Hello Ed,

I am not 100% certain, but I am fairly confident in stating that this may be caused by a firewall issue.  Once I am sure, I will be certain to update this post.

I appreciate the reply.

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Hi there

thanks for the feedback, most (not all) errors i have seen are caused by the firewalls on the servers.

I look forward to your response and feedback with your findings.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:05 PM