none
Isolated App Domain

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to set up an App development environment for myself for SharePoint 2013. I have very little experience with server administration.

I am following the instructions here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22823.sharepoint-2013-create-an-isolated-app-domain-step-by-step.aspx to set up an "Isolated App domain" but I am having a ton of trouble.

The server I am doing this on is running Server 2012. I installed the DNS role and am attempting to add the correct records. This server is NOT a domain controller, as far as I can tell, because the option "Store the Zone in Active Directoy" is not available. 

This leads me to believe that I have to get my company IT to create these DNS records for me. I have no idea what specifically to ask them for, however. I am convinced I should ask them to first, create a forward lookup zone, copied to all domain controllers, for the domain that I want to develop for. Then enter a Alias CNAME record to this DNS entry to my server running sharepoint. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help, I am incredibly lost.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you need to ask IT to create an Isolated App Domain.

You can tell him: create a new primary forward lookup zone > replicate to all DNS servers in this domain > create a new Alias in this new created zone and select the correct domain name for target host.

I suggest you provide this article with detailed steps for IT, which make him get your point easily.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:37 AM