none
Windows 10 RDP session causes logout immediately after closing RDP client for devices with less than 1.5GB of RAM

Question

• Hello!

With the recent outburst of small devices that have 1GB of ram, quadcore atoms and generally enough storage to serve as a small, very simple home server, I've decided I wanted to use one of them for this very purpose, using RDP as the main way of accessing it.

Everything went fine except I found out that for some reason when the system has less than 1.5GB of RAM, (I.e. 1GB which almost all of these devices do), you will be logged off as soon as you click "X" in the RDP client. Next time when you try to RDP (or even login locally), it will be as if you had logged off previously.

This means that your applications will not continue to run in the background even though the RDP client states they will.

This seems like an undocumented behavior as I cannot find it anywhere in requirements or additional requirements for windows 10 (and incidentally also windows 8.1 where the same issue occurs). This works just fine on windows 7.

It seems that this is related to fast user switching which is somehow disabled when windows sees that your device has 1GB or less RAM.

This is a big nuisance since I cannot find any group policy or anything that would allow me to force-disable this behavior, because I am pretty sure that the device can handle it.

There is no misconfiguration on my device. I attempted this in a virtual machine with clean installation of evaluation version of windows 10, and the issue manifested when I set the VM's RAM to 1GB, but disappeared when I set it to 1.5GB - and reappeared after I set it back to 1GB. There is no doubt that this is not caused by any drivers or any group policies, but simply by some kind of undocumented behavior hardcoded in.

Relevant links: http://superuser.com/questions/942093/windows-8-1-session-logoff-on-rdp-disconnect and http://superuser.com/questions/971271/remote-desktop-windows-10-closing-programs-on-disconnect .

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Edited by LittleVulpix Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:33 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi LittleVulpix,

The minimum RAM requirement for Windows 10 64 machine is 2 GB, for Windows 10 32 is 1 GB. To make Windows 10 run well, please ensure the machine hardware meets the minimum RAM requirement.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Specifications
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu,

That's exactly my point - my Windows 10 machine has 1GB of RAM (32bit machine) and yet this feature is unavailable to me.

I don't see anything that states I need 2GB of RAM to be able to use fast user switching / persistent RDP session - here is a link to the additional requirements that still doesn't say I need 2GB for this feature (which it either should - or the feature should work). https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#reqs

Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hi LittleVulpix,

Is the machine joined to a domain?

I have made a test on my side.
    I assigned the Windows 10 Enterprise machine with 1 GB RAM(x64) then remote to it on a Windows 7 machine. Then press "X" to disconnect. I will be notified this. Have you got that?

When I logon the Windows 10 Enterprise machine locally with the same account, the user wasn`t log off.

Please try the following group policy to have a test.
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Session Time Limits->Set time limit for disconnected sessions "never"

If the issue persists, we could check the Event Viewer for any related information to troubleshoot this issue.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 29, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Hello!

I tried those group policies. No difference regardless of whether it is set to a specific time, unset, or set to never. I also tried modifying the idle session group polic etc, but no change.

Yes I did get that prompt.

I also examined the event log and it literally looks like I logged off whenever I close the session.

Can you try this with an x86 version of windows 10 pro on 1 gb of ram? Maybe enterprise is special.

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:03 AM
  • I tried this again and it did not happen.

Evaluation Windows 10 Pro x86 on a virtual machine with 900MB of RAM - session persists.

So I'm back at square one. I managed to reproduce this behavior on a VM once but never again since. It still exists on the device however.

I have to check for anything specific to this platform that would make windows close my session, but it's a clean W10 installation. It happens on W8.1 as well, before I upgraded to 10. It does not happen on W7.

• Edited by LittleVulpix Friday, January 29, 2016 11:18 AM More info
    Friday, January 29, 2016 11:18 AM
  • This is related to Fast User Switching (FUS) not being available. In neither windows 8.1 nor 10. For example in Windows 8.1, when I try to fast-switch (start->switch user), the disconnected user session  is immediately logged off. (I was logged in via RDP as a different user and had the task manager open - I could see the session going into "Disconnected" state and then disappearing).

On a normal computer or on my VM, the session simply stays in "Disconnected" mode until someone connects to it. It has to be something with windows enforcing some kind of special policy based upon the hardware, but it might not be RAM. It has to be other stuff as well, probably something from the newer hardware sort for mobile devices (i.e. connected standby?).

I have no idea what else to try.

Friday, January 29, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Hi LittleVulpix,

"This is related to Fast User Switching (FUS) not being available. "

So this issue is caused by the "Fast User Switching " feature. Thanks for sharing.

To make the session work well, we`d better to assign it at least 1.5 GB RAM.

Best regards

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Hello,

not true.

I tried it on a virtual machine with 900MB ram. It works, no problem. Ram is not the issue...

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Hi LittleVulpix,

According to your original post, the issue could be resolved by increasing the RAM. On your last reply, you mentioned the issue is related to the "fast switch " feature.

Do you mean the original issue (resolved by increasing the RAM) is a coincident issue, the "fast switch" feature is the root cause?

If I have misunderstood, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Thursday, February 04, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu,

Yes. It was merely my assumption that the RAM was the culprit, because it works on the VM with as little as 900MB of RAM (which is less than the device has).

I've purchase Windows 10 Pro because I thought it was a problem with the Home edition, but I've returned the product and I'm now trying to troubleshoot FUS for Windows Home.

I've created a separate "incident" for this and I'm currently focusing on it. ( https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6465436b-cbf8-42f4-8606-a19563189392/cannot-switch-account-without-being-logged-out )   It is my belief that once I have resolved the FUS issue, I will be able to apply the same workaround to my Windows 10 Pro and have the RDP session work as intended.

Thursday, February 04, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi LittleVulpix,

Thanks for updating, I am looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Friday, February 05, 2016 8:34 AM