Propellerhead Reason 4 opening files very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently purchased a Compaq Presario with Windows 7.

My major problem just now as a music producer by profession I use Propellerhead Reason 4.0 and since intalling it I have encountered one basic problem that i can't resolve and hoped you may be able to help me.

When the programme is opened everything works as it should except when I go to browse or open any files in the programme. All i seem to get is a spinning circle for about 10 minutes(sometimes longer) before finally letting me look at any vst's or folders. It sometimes takes a long time for a selected file to load as well. The good news is that once this is opened everything works just fine but the browsing is so slow i am at my wits end.

It is making production incredibly slow to the point where an hours work consists of mainly chosing an intrument, by this point I am too frustrated and bored of waiting that I give up completely. I have tried all manner of troubleshooting and using speed up my pc with constant virus checks. my hard drive has plenty of space and there shouldn't be this problem as I had this software on a far less powerful system using XP and i never encountered this before.

Is there any way of making browsing/opening files/folders open without waiting a long time? I have to say I am not a big fan of this spinning circle everytime I try anything and just want to get on with making my music again. i am not a wiz technically but I can't go on going through this tediously slow ritual everytime I want to change an instrument/patch. Please, Please, Please can you give me some advice on how to speed this problem up as everything else works as it always has and fixing this small but frustrating problem would effectivelt change my life (Making music on this software is very important to me).

Your sincerely,

S

Friday, July 9, 2010 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may check the Propellerhead website and install all the updates for Reason 4.

If it does not work, I would like to suggest you run it under Compatibility Mode to test the issue.

Run in compatibility mode with administrative privilege

================

1. Right-click the .exe file of the Reason 4 program and choose Properties.

2. Click the "Compatibility" tab.

3. Please check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)".

4. Select "Run this program as an administrator" option under the Privilege Level.

5. Click Apply, click OK.

Note: If the option is unavailable when running this program as an administrator, it means that either the application is blocked from always running elevated, the application does not require administrative credentials to run, or you are not logged into the computer as an administrator.

If the issue persists, you may consider to install the latest version of Propellerhead Reason.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:02 AM

All replies

• The good news is Propellerhead works on Win 7. [ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=Propellerhead%20Reason%204&os=32-bit ]

It looks like there is some sort of configuration issue on your system. Can you check your 'Event Viewer' and see if there have been any errors logged?

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Friday, July 9, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

You may check the Propellerhead website and install all the updates for Reason 4.

If it does not work, I would like to suggest you run it under Compatibility Mode to test the issue.

Run in compatibility mode with administrative privilege

================

1. Right-click the .exe file of the Reason 4 program and choose Properties.

2. Click the "Compatibility" tab.

3. Please check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)".

4. Select "Run this program as an administrator" option under the Privilege Level.

5. Click Apply, click OK.

Note: If the option is unavailable when running this program as an administrator, it means that either the application is blocked from always running elevated, the application does not require administrative credentials to run, or you are not logged into the computer as an administrator.

If the issue persists, you may consider to install the latest version of Propellerhead Reason.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:02 AM
  • Funny, I have the same problem but my problem is with Reason 5.  I too just purchased a Compaq with windows 7 64 bit.  I'm curious to know if you've resolved your problem since.  Can you provide me with any suggestions if so?  I also use recycle and pro Tools LE version with no problem so I'm guessing that the problem lies with Reason not the comp. 
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:33 PM
  • windows xp doesn't have this problem

i just tried what Arthur suggested and it got even worse..
    im pretty sure it has something to do with indexing that was introduced with vista and 7

because i remember back on xp it ran really fast as soon as i upped to vista it was super slow...
    i actually lose my creative curve waiting for samples to load up in the program :( if anyone knows how to speed it up i would love to hear it

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:11 PM
  • okay did some further tweaking i seemed to fix this SLOW ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL

its super fast now

just follow Arthurs instructions load the program up
    it will be super slow run a RNS file anything just load one up

if it freezes just log off log on or reboot the machine to fully close down reason32.exe

now undo Arthurs instructions and put it back to normal exe runtime settings turn off run as administrator

then run the program, my reason is running so fast now and loading samples insanely quick 

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:36 PM