Windows recognizes graphics card but doesn't use it RRS feed

• Question

• I added a graphics card to my computer, and it automatically downloaded drivers from Windows Update.  The graphics card shows up in Device Manager, and says it's working OK, but Windows won't use it for graphics output.  If I go to the screen resolution settings in Control Panel, it says it's using the integrated card and won't permit me to switch to the PCI/e card I installed.

The root cause of the problem is that my BIOS doesn't use add-on graphics cards.  Is there any way to force Windows to use the alternative graphics card, even though the BIOS won't?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no such software can do this if the hardware cannot support.  Have you tried to contact Dell support?

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:00 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 9:15 AM
  • No.  Based on the Dell forum link I gave above, I doubt they will be able to help.  Besides, at this point, I'm going to use the server for something else, so I don't need the graphics card anymore.
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:01 PM

All replies

• Probably not but we would need a lot more info like the system specs, graphic card, etc.  You might also want to upload your event viewer logs so we can see what is happening

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:51 AM
  • On the back of your PC, did you disconnect the monitor cable from the (old) integrated output and reconnect it to one of the (new) outputs on the graphics card ?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

You need to connect the monitor to the new output. Can you please try this.

If you have any feedback on our support, please clickhere

Juke Chou

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Uh, yes.  I had actually tried connecting the monitor to the new output.  Windows didn't switch to using it.  It continued to stick with the default graphics card.

System specs:

This is a Dell Poweredge C1100 server that I was hoping to use as a workstation (yes I know that it's a server and was designed to be used as a server).  Because servers are really specialized, the BIOS doesn't support add-on graphics cards; only internal ones (which in this case has only 8MB of memory).  However, if I plug a graphics card into the PCI/e port, Windows does recognize it as a graphics card, installs it, etc.  But it doesn't use it.

If you need more detailed information about the system specs, let me know.

Friday, April 19, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Disable the onboard video card in the system bios and connect the monitor cable to the new video card.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:04 PM
  • I had thought of that too.  The BIOS has no option to disable onboard video.

This is apparently because it was designed to be a server.  Here's a related forum post (by another user of a Dell server):

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19269376.aspx

I'm probably out of luck.  Just wanted to know if anybody had any ideas to change the video card on the software level, rather than hardware level.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

There is no such software can do this if the hardware cannot support.  Have you tried to contact Dell support?

Juke Chou

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:15 AM
  • No.  Based on the Dell forum link I gave above, I doubt they will be able to help.  Besides, at this point, I'm going to use the server for something else, so I don't need the graphics card anymore.
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:01 PM