Open Office documents killed by Word RRS feed

• Question

• I used OpenOffice prior to buying Word; now, all my OpenOffice documents have been reduced to black smears, looking like they have been overtyped a hundred times. How do I retrieve my documents?

Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Answers

• It's possible this is due to the use of fonts not included with Windows & MS Office, or some other incompatibility between your OpenOffice documents and Word - not all OpenOffice content is supported in Word and vice-versa. As a first step, I'd suggests using Ctrl-A (to select the entire document), then applying a standard font like Times New Roman or Arial to the document and seeing if that makes your content more accessible.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue exist on both Word and OpenOffice? What is the file extension in this problem?

Please try to open the document by using the Open and Repair feature in Word. Since I don't know your version Of Word, please refer to this kb below to find the steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893672/en-us

As far as I know, the program called OpenOffice that you are using doesn't belong to Microsoft, if there's no problem in Word, it's better to contact the developer of the program to get the specific support.

If I misunderstood anything, feel free to correct me.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:13 AM
  • It's possible this is due to the use of fonts not included with Windows & MS Office, or some other incompatibility between your OpenOffice documents and Word - not all OpenOffice content is supported in Word and vice-versa. As a first step, I'd suggests using Ctrl-A (to select the entire document), then applying a standard font like Times New Roman or Arial to the document and seeing if that makes your content more accessible.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:19 AM