Recent Items not working right on Start Menu and Task Bar RRS feed

• Question

• I am running the 64 bit Release Candidate on a Dell XPS.

The programs shown on the start menu are not my recent or most used items. They do change but the behaviour is wierd. Right now Paint has just popped up on the bottom of the list, but I have never used it. Before that, i had just been using open office Writer, and noticed that it had put open office Base on the list (again, never used). I ran that from the list, and when I looked again at the list, it was now showing open office Calc. WMP is 3rd on the list even though I've never used it. I have some programs pinned on the Taskbar, and these don't show up on the list, which makes sense.

Also, I notice that my recent items jump list on my media player (GOM player) has now stopped updating. It has reached the maximum number of items - 10 - but will not delete old ones and add new ones, it just keeps the first 10 things that ever got added to it. They are not pinned. Firefox recent items jump list is blank.

Friday, June 5, 2009 9:40 AM

All replies

• Moods18,

Something is corrupted, probably in your user account. Try creating a new user and see if the same issue happens for that user account.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:50 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, I made a new account and the lists don't behave right there either. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to try deleting all the existing lists and starting again.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Moods18,

Did you ever get this worked out?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:59 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm running the 32 bit RC, and I've noticed that how ever many times I use Open Office Calc (quite frequently) it never appears in the start menu.  I pinned it to the Start Menu, but it has no jump list. Calculator popped up the first time i used it, and has never gone away, though I use it quite infrequently.  Media Monkey, which I use every day has never appeared.  A few other programs that I use infrequently never seem to go away.  I'm perfectly capable of deciding which programs I use most frequently myself - stop trying to get the computer to work it out for me.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:28 AM
  • This is not an answer to the full problem, I'm just addressing the specific issue of OpenOffice documents not showing up by the arrow to the right of the program name in the start menu of Win7 (recent items jump list). Or no arrow for recent items at all:

The jump list for Open Office Calc never seemed to work for me either. Then I found this:

"To get them showing up in the list you have to open the document through the file system , meaning you have to open it through Windows Explorer in order for the documents to appear in the start menu list.  Creating a new document and saving it from the application just doesn’t work to get it displayed here." http://www.niftygeek.com/?p=93

Just opening the document from Windows Explorer once, made it show up in the recent items jump list!
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:52 PM