SCCM Client 2007 to 2012 migration fails on server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating server systems from our current SCCM 2007 R3 environment to our new SCCM 2012 R2 CU1 environment.  I am using the Client push method with the "always install" and "Uninstall existing" options selected to 'migrate' the boxes to the new side.  Server 2008 and 2012 boxes work like a charm.  However every 2003 box I have come across thus far fails at the exact same spot.

The ccm.log file looks good with the below...

Connected to administrative share on machine SERVER2003 using account DOMAIN\account
    Copying client files to \\SERVER2003\admin$\ccmsetup.
    Updated service "ccmsetup" on machine "SERVER2003". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 6988 (0x1B4C)
    Started service "ccmsetup" on machine "SERVER2003". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 6988 (0x1B4C)
    Completed request "2097152682", machine name "SERVER2003". SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 6988 (0x1B4C)

But in the ccmsetup.log it get...

Ccmsetup command line: "C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" /runservice /ForceInstall /config:MobileClient.tcf
    Command line parameters for ccmsetup have been specified.  No registry lookup for command line parameters is required.
    Command line: "C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" /runservice /ForceInstall /config:MobileClient.tcf
    LoadConfigFile failed with error 0x80070057
    Failed to parse '"C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" /runservice /ForceInstall /config:MobileClient.tcf' with error 0x80070057
    A Fallback Status Point has not been specified.  Message with STATEID='100' will not be sent
    A Fallback Status Point has not been specified.  Message with STATEID='307' will not be sent
    CcmSetup failed with error code 0x80070057

Any ideas?

• Edited by VOID269 Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:32 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Answers

• CORRECTION!

Apparently as of SP1 you can add ccmsetup.exe switches to the Client Install Properties tab.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298

On the Installation Properties tab, specify any installation properties to use when installing the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager client:     

• For Configuration Manager with no service pack: You can
      specify only installation properties for the Windows Installer package
      (Client.msi) in this tab; you cannot specify properties for
      CCMSetup.exe.
    • For Configuration Manager SP1: You can specify installation
      properties for the Windows Installer package (Client.msi) in this tab
      and the following CCMSetup.exe properties:
      • /forcereboot
      • /skipprereq
      • /logon
      • /BITSPriority
      • /downloadtimeout
      • /forceinstall

So I added the switch back and to my amazement the install worked and Silverlight was not installed.  After a lot of head scratching I found the previous switch had a space between '/skipprereq:' and 'silverlight.exe' which is what really caused my issue.

...amazing something so simple can cause such a headache.  At least I learned something new!  :-)

• Marked as answer by VOID269 Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:01 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:01 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the WMI repository on those systems to see if they are not corrupted by any chance?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:39 AM
  • I can't really explain the error as it means something like invalid arguments... Did you check the client.msi.log for more details?

Also, did you make sure that the prerequisites are in place? Windows Server 2003 needs for example the installation of BITS, see also: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Try to start a WMI query from a remote machine to your server from cmd (e.g.):

wmic /node:computername computersystem get username

You should get back the logged on user name. If you won't get back anything just error means you have WMI error (just as it seems in your log file).

Try to "rebuild" your WMI repository. Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service and rename or delete the C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder.

After you can re - start the WMI service and you should make a computer restart. 

Thanks, Prabha G

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Try to "rebuild" your WMI repository. Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service and rename or delete the C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder.

That's *not* recommended. And it might cause other issues - especially on servers.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Have you checked the WMI repository on those systems to see if they are not corrupted by any chance?

I have done basic checking of WMI and all seems in order.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Is there a client.msi.log file with the SCCM 2012 client?  I searched the system and nothing turned up.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Try to "rebuild" your WMI repository. Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service and rename or delete the C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder.

That's *not* recommended. And it might cause other issues - especially on servers.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Agreed, I have learned that lesson a long time ago.  Doing a repository rebuild is always last resort as it will break the SCCM client (requires a full uninstall and reinstall) as well as possibly other applications. But testing of WMI looks good.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:17 PM
  • The "client.msi.log" is located here: C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs. 

Okay so WMI is good to go you say. 

And you did verify that those target servers network locations are members of a boundary group?

If they are not members of a Boundary Group, I would think that the Site Server wouldn't even be able to connect to the Admin share, so you've probably already done this. Just trying to throw out some options. 

This may sound like a no brainer, but have you restarted at least one of these servers and then re-tried the SCCM 2012 client installation?

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:25 PM
  • No there won't be log in this case because ccmsetup fails before it even kicks off client.msi.

There's something more fundamental going on here. Have you modified the mobileclient.tcf file in any way?

Have you opened it on the site and/or on the client itself (within the ccmsetup folder) to see if it's maybe corrupt?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Ahhh yep that is correct, Jason
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Ratz,

The servers are in a boundary group and I have bounced the boxes in question a couple times.

Jason,

I have not modified the MobileClient.tcf file and it does open with notepade fine.  The settings inside seem spot on to my eyes, but see the code below.

[WINNT CLIENT FILES] bin\%cli_cpu%\MobileClient.tcf=MobileClient.tcf bin\%cli_cpu%\ccmsetup.exe=ccmsetup.exe [SERVER PATHS] Server1=\\SCCMSERVER.DOMAIN.COM\SMSClient MP1=SCCMSERVER.DOMAIN.COM ServerRemoteName1=\\SCCMSERVER.DOMAIN.COM\SMSClient [Site] Last TCF Update=07/10/2014 17:20:09 SMSMPLIST=SCCMSERVER.DOMAIN.COM IISSSLState=192 IISPreferedPort=80 IISSSLPreferedPort=443 IISPortsList=80 IISSSLPortsList=443 SMSPublicRootKey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

SelectFirstCertificate=1 [Client Install] Install=INSTALL=ALL SMSSITECODE=ABC RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE /skipprereq: silverlight.exe [IDENT] TYPE=Target Configuration File

• Edited by VOID269 Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:40 PM
  • How about your AV product? This is common culprit with mysterious issues.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:54 PM
  • I disabled it and gave the client push anotehr shot, same outcome.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Looks like I solved the mystery.  But have now created another question.

Turns out you cannot specify an ccmsetup.exe switch in the Client Install Properties tab as it is meant only for client.msi options.  A distinction can be found in the link below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699356.aspx

Once i removed '/skipprereq: silverlight.exe' the push was successful.  Also, this was impacting all boxes, it just happened to have been added after the majority of the 2008 servers were already pushed to and the next set were mostly 2003.

But this now begs the question, how does one exclude Silverlight from being installed when doing a client install push.  A manual/GPO install would work doing the following however: ccmsetup.exe /skipprereq:silverlight.exe SMSSITECODE=ABC RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Many folks use a startup script or have it standard in their build process and don't rely on client push. I personally dislike using the in the box GPO method.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:09 PM
  • CORRECTION!

Apparently as of SP1 you can add ccmsetup.exe switches to the Client Install Properties tab.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298

On the Installation Properties tab, specify any installation properties to use when installing the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager client:     

• For Configuration Manager with no service pack: You can
      specify only installation properties for the Windows Installer package
      (Client.msi) in this tab; you cannot specify properties for
      CCMSetup.exe.
    • For Configuration Manager SP1: You can specify installation
      properties for the Windows Installer package (Client.msi) in this tab
      and the following CCMSetup.exe properties:
      • /forcereboot
      • /skipprereq
      • /logon
      • /BITSPriority
      • /downloadtimeout
      • /forceinstall

So I added the switch back and to my amazement the install worked and Silverlight was not installed.  After a lot of head scratching I found the previous switch had a space between '/skipprereq:' and 'silverlight.exe' which is what really caused my issue.

...amazing something so simple can cause such a headache.  At least I learned something new!  :-)

• Marked as answer by VOID269 Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:01 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:01 PM