locked
Problems after migrating AppV server VM to different SAN RRS feed

  • Question

  • Ok, so here's one that seems different. I currently have my appv-test server configured in a VM on Citrix XenServer. The C:\ and server install are on the local hdd of the physical server, but the content share (E:\ and UNC \\appv-test\apps) were on a SAN. We had a new SAN come online that I needed to use to host our Appv test server and storage. I used the XenCenter GUI to migrate over the VM by shutting it down and telling it to copy the VM and chose the new SAN. When it did this, it copied everything (C:\ and E:\) to the new SAN so that nothing is now on the physical server space hosting the VMs. I also copied the MAC address from the old VM to the new one. The appv-test VM boots up fine and looks identical, only now when I try to launch any apps, I get the 0A-20000194 error (The package requested could not be found in the system data store...) on the client.

    I've checked to ensure the registry entry for the content share is still pointed to the correct place, that the content share permissions are correct, etc. They're all identical to the way it was set up before I copied the VM. Again, on the client, the icons refresh and show up correctly, but we're unable to launch any of them. I still have the original VM on the old storage so I can boot it up for reference, but this certainly seems strange. I'm wondering if there's some weird machine identifier that's different that is somehow throwing everything off.

    Any ideas?

    Michael
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:43 PM

Answers

  • The log files were giving me the following error: [2010-03-05 10:42:37.015] APPV-TEST 2040 2044 SW_CoreServer::ConfigureServer - - - - 1 41508 "Invalid root path : \\appv-test\apps

    In fact, the root path, \\appv-test\apps was actually correct, but it seemed like it was checking the DB but reporting the string from the registry (I had the correct content path set in the local registry of the appv server). I checked the table in the database on the DB server and the root_path element (in the SERVER table) had the wrong value (it had somehow defaulted back to the c:\program files\microsoft blah blah\content). I changed that to the \\appv-test\apps path, restarted the appv management server service, refreshed my apps, and *bam* (as Emeril would say), all is well with the world again.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:26 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Have you read the log-files to specify what the error message means?

    /Znack
    Friday, March 5, 2010 4:20 PM
  • The log files were giving me the following error: [2010-03-05 10:42:37.015] APPV-TEST 2040 2044 SW_CoreServer::ConfigureServer - - - - 1 41508 "Invalid root path : \\appv-test\apps

    In fact, the root path, \\appv-test\apps was actually correct, but it seemed like it was checking the DB but reporting the string from the registry (I had the correct content path set in the local registry of the appv server). I checked the table in the database on the DB server and the root_path element (in the SERVER table) had the wrong value (it had somehow defaulted back to the c:\program files\microsoft blah blah\content). I changed that to the \\appv-test\apps path, restarted the appv management server service, refreshed my apps, and *bam* (as Emeril would say), all is well with the world again.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:26 PM