none
How to recover bitlocker encrypted user data partition RRS feed

• Question

• Background: My laptop was installed with Windows 8 and the disk is encrypted with Bitlocker. At installation I split the disk in two partitions, one for the OS and one for the user data. The laptop is broken beyond repair but I still have the disk.

I am using a USB cradle to recover data from the disk to another computer (running Windows 7). When I turn on the cradle it shows me my two partitions and prompts for the Bitlocker password for the OS partition. This works fine. But for the user data partition it prompts me for a recovery key, which I don't have.

When I installed the system and enabled I only set one password. At the time I believed that it encrypted the whole disk as one unit and didn't pay more attention to this. As I learn more it seems like the partitions are encrypted individually. The manage-bde tool shows that the OS disk is encrypted with a password while the user data partition is encrypted with an external key and shows a filename with a BEK extension. I have never created such an external key file.

Is this external key managed by Windows itself (to save me from entering two passwords at boot time)?

Is there a way to find this external key for my user data partition?

Thanks for help or any hints.

/ Sven

Sunday, September 21, 2014 11:21 AM

Answers

• Tanks for respondent. That guide refers mostly to recovering the keys from AD. My laptop was not domain joined as it was for home use. And I have the password for the OS disk and needed help with the second.

Anyway, I solved this by inserting the disk in another laptop. It booted up nicely, prompted for the one password and gave me access to both partitions. So my problem is solved now.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• Please see: BitLocker Recovery Guide

Carey Frisch

Sunday, September 21, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Tanks for respondent. That guide refers mostly to recovering the keys from AD. My laptop was not domain joined as it was for home use. And I have the password for the OS disk and needed help with the second.

Anyway, I solved this by inserting the disk in another laptop. It booted up nicely, prompted for the one password and gave me access to both partitions. So my problem is solved now.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:58 PM