BLACK SCREEN AND MOVEABLE CURSOR RRS feed

• Question

• I have a black screen and a moveable cursor upon boot. I also have an error message 0xc0000005. I have tried to go to every possible option that has been given to me to try on the computer. I have windows xp professional. I cant get up task manager. and when my friend and I have look at websites for answers on how to fix this we have tried everything we could find. We have downloaded software to cd and even tried again what controlls the websites have told us would work. Still nothing. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration.

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, as you could not get up task manager, I assume you can log on, let us try the following steps to check the result:

1. Press CTL ALT DELete and the Task Manager will show up.
    2. Go to Processes Tab
    3. RIGHT click on "explorer.exe"
    4. Select "End Process"
    5. Left click on File on the menu bar
    6. Select "New Task"
    7. type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter.

If you can't log on, certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.     Using Last Known Good Configuration to check if you can log in the system.

2.     Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

3.     Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:44 AM