Domain User login problem ( outside the domain ) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am Planning to put around 50 Laptop in domain.

My concern is that, if for any reason they are not able to login with there domain user outside the company LAN on the Laptop. ( means if they are traveling or if they are on Client side )

Is there any way to help them, without giving them Local Admin password.

Thanks & Regards,
    Param
    www.paramgupta.blogspot.com

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Param

they will need to log onto the domain at least once before using it offline or outside the domain otherwise the laptop will not have a cached their credentials.

You could create local profiles on each device that they could use, but quite frankly this is just storing up trouble for yourself in the future. When you roll them out make it clear that they have to log onto the device at least once in the office before they can use it outside of the office.

This is by far the most effective solution.

Cheers

Alex

• Proposed as answer by EMulvaney06 Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Param022012 Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks and I appreciate your time and response.

I am wondering why ur telling "but quite frankly this is just storing up trouble for yourself in the future"

Even though i create  a local profile for that user, they will be able to login but by default they will not be able to access their desktop, document & other.

I have to give that local user rights for that particular domain user profile, am i right?

is there any workaround, other than above.

What do you think?

Thanks & Regards,
    Param
    www.paramgupta.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Hi Param

over my career I've been responsible for rolling out 2000-3000 laptops. By far the easiest way to do this when the laptop is handed over to the end user make them log into the domain.  That way their credentials are cached and they'll always be able to login to the laptop.

Rather than trying some technical solution to pre-populate the device with a local\admin login, a simple "social engineering" is be far the most effective and graceful way to appraoch this problem.

Cheers

Alex

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:32 AM