none
Screen Saver Group Policy

Question

• Hi All,

We have got a request to implement the screen saver policy for a 100 Windows 7 Enterprise machines. The screen save provided by application contains Test.scr file.

I would like to know how to implement the screen saver GPO and can the test.scr file can be used?

Thanks HA

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 11:48 AM

Answers

• The easiest way to do this is to copy the screen saver to each workstation using Group Policy logon script. Then, using the same GPO specify the screensaver you would like to force on the workstation.

1) Copy the screensaver file to a network share.

2) Create a batch file which will copy the screen saver to the workstations, example below.

Batchfile
    IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\ScreenSaver.scr GOTO :SCRCONTINUE
    copy \\SomeFileShare\ScreenSaver\ScreenSaver.scr %systemroot%\system32

:SCRCONTINUE

3) Create a GPO which calls the batch file. User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Scripts\Logon. You can do one of two things here.

a) Press Add, Browse, and select the batch file on the network share or...

b) Press Add, Browse, and then Copy the batch file into the default location. This will store the Batch file within \\domain.com\sysvol (domain network share). I prefer this option because all my logon scripts are stored within the domain and replicated to each domain controller. There's no need to store the batch file on another network share. You could theoretically store the screensaver file here as well and update the batch file paths.

4) Enable the policy User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Force specific screen saver.

Rahul

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 12:35 PM