none
Domain users are unable to change or reset password.

Question

• Some of domain users are unable to change or reset password from alt+ctrl+del.. This issue occurs ramdomly. I have have check the Group Policy and all the complexity and length is not defined.

Following errors occurs:

Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.

What is the main issue..

Thanks in advance..

Mandal Amit

Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Mandal,

The user account policy is enabled by default in domain.

The setting Password must meet complexity requirements is enable in domain.

The setting Minimum password length is set to 7 by default in domain.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Thank you for your response. I have done all the setting but some of my users are unable to reset password. This issue occurs some of the users only.

Mandal Amit

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:20 PM
  • We have had this issue that started in the last few weeks.  It seems to be a bug.  I will have users reporting this when setting a new password that meets the requirements.  If they then cancel out of the change and log back in with the new password they were trying to set, it works.  Considering this was the start of the new semester and we were handing out logins for new students, this is quite an annoying bug.

Unfortunately, it's random.  I've found no rhyme or reason.  I can have twenty students resetting passwords and it happens on three or four.  Never the same machines.

James Mogle

IT/GIS support analyst

FSU College of Social Sciences and Public Policy

• Edited by James Mogle Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:49 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Is it possible that the DC with the PDC Emulator FSMO role is not available when some students attempt to change their password?

Edit: When a password is changed, the change must be forwarded to the DC with the PDC Emulator role. This DC is also contacted if a user attempts to logon with a bad password. This FSMO role ensures that the latest password is always enforced (unless cached credentials are used).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Ensure that the PDC emulator is available for the computers that the users are attempting to change their passwords on. 

You can view which domain controller has the PDC emulator role (if you have more than one DC) by opening a cmd prompt on any DC, and typing 

netdom query fsmo

Then, make sure you can ping this domain controller from the computers that are experiencing this issue. Also, check the event logs on this server to verify there are no problems. Please run this command:

dcdiag /c >> c:\dcdiag.txt

It will create a file on the root of the c: partition called dcdiag.txt. Paste the results of this file here.

DCDiag is used to verify that domain controllers are functioning properly. If they are not functioning properly, weird issues like this can happen.

Cheers,

Ryan

Microsoft Server Engineer

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:   

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by James Mogle Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:00 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:08 PM
  • There could be other reasons for denying new passwords when complexity is enabled. I have never see this process buggy, it's usually a rule in place that users are unaware of...

1. The users cannot have any part of their user names/logins as part of the password. For example: user Joe Smith cannot have the password Joe1234.

2. Users can typically not recycle passwords (last 24 password is default) so make sure they are not using passwords that they have used before. This behavios can be changed in GP password history.

3. User cannot change password if the minimum password age has not been exceeded, this is to prevent users from quickly changing passwords to get through the password history restriction.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:49 PM
  • The above is typically caused by the user changing his/her password and then trying to change it again. Once you change the password, you cannot change it again until the minimum password age has expired.

This rule is in place to prevent users from circumventing the password history restriction and recycling their old passwords.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:54 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:53 PM
  • This fixed my issue.  Dcdiag indicated some issues on the PDC master and it is having some kind of intermittant problem with communications.  Changing the master seems to have eliminated the password issue while I troubleshoot the root cause on the old PDC.
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your share.

And please mark your reply above, which resolved your problem, as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Friday, January 20, 2017 1:38 AM