ImportFromOtherVersion keeps Dissapearing from registry when restarting UAG Configuration Manager Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to import a pre sp1 xml file to a newy build sp1 UAG 2010 server. To be able to do that i need to put the following registry key d-word: ImportFromOtherVersion To activate i need to restart the "Microsoft ForeFront UAG Configuration Manager" Service. However the restart of the service deletes the ImportFromOtherVersion key all the time and my import still doesn't work.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for Helping me out.

DJITS

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:05 PM

Answers

• @DJITS: You raised a good point, which made me give it a try by myself. And indeed, just like you said, importing a previous version of a UAG configuration fails, even when using the ImportFromOtherVersion registry key. This intrigued me so I did a little research. My findings are that it seems this registry key is not taken into consideration anymore. The couple of TechNet articles mentioning this registry key need an update.

I guess Jason's suggestion to you in this thread is the practical solution. Unless it may be even faster for you to configure from scratch your UAG SP1 server.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by DJITS Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:19 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:35 AM

All replies

• Marked as answer by DJITS Monday, May 16, 2011 2:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DJITS Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:16 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi Ran,

Activating the Configuration does help to keep the Registry key however i'm still unable to import my old configuration.

The message I get is this:

The selected file was created using a different schema version of ForeFront UAG. The file schema version is "4.0.1118.100"; the product schema version is "4.0.1743.10000".

Is there anything else I can do?

Greetings,

DJITS

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Bit messy, but you could build a temp 4.0.1118.100 version UAG server then import the old config; then upgrade UAG in place on that server and then export the final XML that matches your current version...

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:38 AM
  • @DJITS: You raised a good point, which made me give it a try by myself. And indeed, just like you said, importing a previous version of a UAG configuration fails, even when using the ImportFromOtherVersion registry key. This intrigued me so I did a little research. My findings are that it seems this registry key is not taken into consideration anymore. The couple of TechNet articles mentioning this registry key need an update.

I guess Jason's suggestion to you in this thread is the practical solution. Unless it may be even faster for you to configure from scratch your UAG SP1 server.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by DJITS Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:19 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Hi Jason and Ran,

I started from scratch and the basics are working again. i'll install a second uag server just to import the config so i can see how i did it before. I won't update to sp1. Thats why i had to start over in the first place. I couldn't upgrade my uag to sp1 (1603 error). Anyways it's my development environment so no production downtime.

Thanx for the help.

DJITS.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:23 AM