Revert from Internet Explorer 9 to Internet Explorer 8 on Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 SP1 operating environment. for various business reasons, I need to run IE8. I accepted the upgrade to IE9 and need to uninstall. In "Programs and Features", there is no option to see installed updates and uninstall IE9. There is an option to uncheck IE9 to make it unavailable. When I do so and reboot, I have no IE. It does not revert to IE8. How can I reinstall IE8. I understand from research, that I "should be able to" uninstall IE9 and IE8 will automatically display. I'm not sure that IE8 was ever installed in this PC. I just built up the C drive and I believe that the only version of IE installed was 9. Is there someplace to download IE8 that is compatible with Win7? I've tried the versions labeled for both XP and Vista; neither will install in Win7. Error messages indicate incompatible with win7.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:24 PM

Answers

• To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?".

If still no joy...

See and follow:
    "How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 9 when the standard uninstallation process does not work".

IE9 Microsoft Support
    If you’re unable to uninstall Internet Explorer 9 or the option to uninstall Internet Explorer 9 is not available in installed updates, you can contact support for available support options.
    No charge telephone support is available for install and uninstall issues. You may also be eligible for telephone support if your issue causes your computer to crash or if Internet Explorer 9 does not let you browse all sites.
    To learn more about your support options, please contact Microsoft at the following telephone number: (800) 642-7676.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, October 7, 2011 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:02 AM