none
Where device pairing information are stored?

Question

• Hello All,

In my company we use Miracast Devices (like Microsoft Display Wireless Adapters or Polycom Pano) for share contents on TV. This devices show a PIN on the screen for pairing and this change every time. The problem is that Windows remember the association of the device and ask to enter the PIN only the first time.

The only way to force Windows to forgot the PIN seems to Remove manually the device from Start  > Settings  > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices. Under Wireless displays & docks, select the wireless display or adapter, then select Remove device > Yes 

Via PS script I'm able to delete successfully the devices but after a rescan or a Windows restart, the device still again present and paired on Windows (so no PIN asked for share the content).

Where are stored WiFi Direct information on Windows? I need to found a way to cleanup this information from PC Clients. This is for prevent the sharing of content from anyone having already the pairing information cached on client.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi gueant,

Thanks for posting your query.

First, to make the PIN shows every time, please check the following settings: 

1. Some Windows and Android devices can project to this PC when you say it's OK to "Always Off".

2. Require PIN for pairing to "On".

If it doesn't work, it's recommended to contact with the Miracast Devices manufacture for further help.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Hi Yilia,

I'm looking for a different setting, this is for projecting on PC client but my concern is another.

Miracast Device Manufacture is Microsoft and what I'm trying to understand is where Windows store pairing information and how to remove it in a automatic way.

Thank you

Friday, December 7, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi gueant,

Thanks for your reply.

After the test, I noticed that we can find some related registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses for the wireless display, but it only can appear that it's in the scanning list. 

It's recommended that try to search the display name in the registry key to find the location it storing pairing information.

1. Type regedit in search box and enter.

2. Click Edit > find.

3. Type the display name in Find what.

Best regards,

Yilia 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hi Yilia

thank you, I already checked this key but unable to find my device names here.

I tried to remove all the key that have device name inside values but no luck

Seems that this info is not stored in any file or key 

Best Regards,

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Hi gueant,

After my search and test, there seems to be no resource about pairing information's location. So, I'm afraid that it's same as you think.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Monday, December 17, 2018 9:49 AM