edit user issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple sites running on one server.  However i am seeing different choices when I try to edit a user's details in each site.  On one site I click edit for a user and I only get their domain/username, no ability to edit anything.  On another site I get a form to edit email, name etc...  I'm trying to find which setting allows you to edit more details of a user, specifically the email address.

We also have user accounts with just the name (which I am tryint to edit above) and ones that have domain/username.  The ones with domain/username take me to a "my profile" type page where you can edit the email address.  I'm not sure why some of these accounts are one way and the others not.  All are authenticating off Active Directory and all were manually added.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

You can go to Shard Services Administration to edit all users’ email addresses and users other information. Please follow this step:
    1. Open Central Administration > Shared Services Administration.
    2. User profiles and properties > View user profiles. In this page, all users in the farm are list here, you can edit their email addresses (profiles) here.

Go back to User Profiles and Properties page (step 2), click View profile properties. In the view profile properties page, you can edit profile properties.  Settings here will affect us edit user detail property in Mysite.
    Please do not modify the default user profiles, and you can add a new profile property instead.

Best regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Do you use SharePoint 2010?

If so, please give a new thread in SharePoint 2010 - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation forum, so that better support could be provided. Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Please check permission of the account with which you are trying to edit user details on the site.

Are users able to edit their individual details ?

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi there,

The user account that I am using is a superuser/admin for all site.  Users are able to edit their own details on sites which have the My Profile turned on.  As an admin however the users or sites that do not have the My Profile turned on (except one) the only choice I have is to "add attachment" or "delete user"  One of the sites allows me to edit other details.  I'm not sure why this one site does it and not the rest.  Does this make sense?

Thanks again!

Mike

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Hi Mike,

You can go to Shard Services Administration to edit all users’ email addresses and users other information. Please follow this step:
    1. Open Central Administration > Shared Services Administration.
    2. User profiles and properties > View user profiles. In this page, all users in the farm are list here, you can edit their email addresses (profiles) here.

Go back to User Profiles and Properties page (step 2), click View profile properties. In the view profile properties page, you can edit profile properties.  Settings here will affect us edit user detail property in Mysite.
    Please do not modify the default user profiles, and you can add a new profile property instead.

Best regards,
    Emir

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Emir,

We are on version 2010, so there is no Shared Services Administration.  I believe the equivelant is under Central Administration -> Manage profile service -> User profile service application -> Manage user Profiles.  However I am not seeing users from any of the sites there.  It says there is a total of 18 profiles (but there should be many more).  None show on the list either.  I think there is something more going on with this server.  I am sure there is a setting I am missing somewhere that allows you to edit users profiles on one site and not the others.  Also I should be seeing more profiles in Centeral Administration but not.  Very strange.

Mike

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Do you use SharePoint 2010?

If so, please give a new thread in SharePoint 2010 - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation forum, so that better support could be provided. Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Ok thanks, sorry about that.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:35 PM