Aero theme broken due to last Windows Update. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently ran Windows Update and installed the following:

- Module de prise en charge linguistique Internet Explorer 8 fr-FR
    - Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB972260)
    - Update for Microsoft Windows (KB972636
    - Windows Internet Explorer 8 (I've been putting off installing it because I use Mozilla FireFox)

As well as 2 Nvidia related updates that for some reason aren't appearing on the list of Installed Updates.

Upon restarting, my Aero theme had reverted to Windows Classic, and it seems the theme itself is broken.

I've tried System Restores, making sure the msstyles.mui file has the same name as the msstyles file, etc.

Nothings worked.

So I decided to come to the pros.

Additional Note: I've been thinking of doing a Reset to Factory Defaults on my laptop which is an HP Pavilion brand.

System Information
    Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1
    Hewlett-Packard HP G60 Notebook PC
    Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-60 1.90 GHz
    System type: 32-bit Operating System
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:47 AM

All replies

• Have you tried these?

1. Right-click the Desktop > Personalize > Windows Color and Appearance > open Classic Appearance. Is Aero highlighted? If not, click it and Apply > OK, etc.

2. Right-click Computer > Properties and under Tasks select Advanced System Settings (Continue if UAC is enabled) > Advanced Tab then Settings alongside Performance. Visual Effects Tab contains a list of Options, are they all ticked?

3. Run the Windows Experience Tool to rectify the problem. This is done by going to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools and click ’Update my score’.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:26 AM