IEEE1394 & Camera Identification RRS feed

• Question

• Canon Legria HV40 Playback Mode

I'll try and be as brief as I can as I've been all over answers.microsoft and got fobbed off every time with nothing.

Canon, Sony, JVC camcorders, from search results, have been having trouble with windows since version 7. My own problem is this, while my camcorder (Canon HV40) worked perfectly via the IEEE1394 port on Vista, is no longer recognised as a camcorder in Windows 10. Instead it's misidentified and placed under sound, video and games controllers, in device manager.

ONLY while video playback is set to DV LOCK mode, is the camera recognised by Windows, and placed under Imaging Devices in device manager. And only in this mode can one access the camera with programs like Movie Maker. So even though earlier versions ie: XP and Vista could capture the output from these "expensive" cameras in high definition, you're forced to use a lesser quality capture mode via Firewire, simply because Windows doesn't know what it has connected when it's in HDV mode.

I have personally examined the msdv.inf file for XP, Vista and Winows 10 and I can assure you, there are several lines of code missing from the latest version of this file. I assume the missing lines of code are the problem, specifically, identifying the camera while in HDV mode and placing it in "imaging devices."

I have attempted to edit the latest version of msdv.inf by splicing the missing data into it from the XP version of the file. However, I am a rank amateur at this sort of thing, so even though I was logged onto windows as admin in safe more, I kept getting error messages while saving. So "brick walls" are many.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I've been using firewire to transfer video since XP and I am now considering ripping out this card and replacing it with an HDMI capture card as a last resort. But if a .sys .inf file fix is available or possible, that would be preferable.

Apologies regarding bold text, Chrome won't turn it off for some reason. 

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

I think you have done enough study, as you said in one case:

The issue I believe is this: Whilst connected to the IEEE1394 Firewire port...

SD LOCKED mode, computer uses "msdv.inf" file and is listed in device manager as an "imaging device".

HDV/DV mode, computer uses "mstape.inf" file and is listed as a "sound, video and games controller".

msdv.inf specifically lists the camcorder by name but has no configuration for the camera while in HDV mode, this code is missing.

For current situation, what we can do is just waiting, only if Microsoft releases a new msdv.inf file or Canon releases a updated software/driver for Windows 10, this issue can be fixed.

There is a case shows a similar scenario as yours, perhaps can give you some hints.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2917778/firewire-problem-windows.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• It should also be noted: Playback switching on the Canon HV40 is also automatic. So if the tape has not been recorded in HDV mode, the camera will automatically switch to SD mode, no matter whether it's been locked to that mode or not.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

I think you have done enough study, as you said in one case:

The issue I believe is this: Whilst connected to the IEEE1394 Firewire port...

SD LOCKED mode, computer uses "msdv.inf" file and is listed in device manager as an "imaging device".

HDV/DV mode, computer uses "mstape.inf" file and is listed as a "sound, video and games controller".

msdv.inf specifically lists the camcorder by name but has no configuration for the camera while in HDV mode, this code is missing.

For current situation, what we can do is just waiting, only if Microsoft releases a new msdv.inf file or Canon releases a updated software/driver for Windows 10, this issue can be fixed.

There is a case shows a similar scenario as yours, perhaps can give you some hints.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2917778/firewire-problem-windows.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:30 AM