FOPE whitelisting with Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I recently set up an Office 365 E1 plan and am looking at its FOPE spam filtering. I posted this same message in an Office 365 forum before thinking that a specific FOPE forum might exist...oops.

My goal is to whitelist COMPLETELY any contact in my Outlook contacts so that no message from them ever gets filtered for being supposed spam, i.e., I want NO "spam" ever to get blindly dropped. I have read in various places that anything that gets an SCL over 7 will get dropped, period, and in other places that a whitelisted address will NOT get that same email dropped.

Can Office 365's FOPE do a real whitelist, i.e., trust ANY message coming from that address and send it to one's Inbox, regardless of the SCL?

I have had too many cases over the years where legitimate mail got flagged as spam by various vendors or by Outlook. One client missed his cherished grandfather's funeral in Australia because of a false positive. May that never happen again!

I have begun messing with the quarantine because my reported spam percentage never shows any spam in my junk mail. I have no idea what it was or from whom it was sent.

Is it as simple as setting Outlook's junk mail "Also trust e-mail form my Contacts" setting? To me, that would be a client-based rule, but I want a server-side rule.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Gregg

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

FOPE can handle the safe list of Outlook. Check the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715171.aspx

But I'm not sure how Office365 will do this because you don't use the DirSyncTool with Office365.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Well, I finally got my two users set up in the FOPE admin site and imported three dictionaries: an email address blacklist, an email address whitelist, and an email domain whitelist. So far, so good.

Looking at messages in the quarantine and viewing their headers shows no SCL rating, so I cannot tell if they were "SCL +7" or not.

Is there a way to tell what their SCL rating is?

Gregg

Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Hey ,

I just read Your post and it's seems that you looking for a way to SCL rating  ,

Follow the link below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/forefrontexchange/thread/ef7b12fc-07d3-4819-923e-577d749f3758/

I'd be glad to answer any question

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:18 AM
  • I do not mean to be flippant, but have you heard of a phone?  E-mail is not reliable communication for critical events like funerals.  You send it, but you have no idea if the person on the other end got it or not...kind of like dropping a letter off at the Post Office.

Critical communications should always involve an acknowledgement.  Which means pick up the phone and call the person if they do not respond to your e-mail, postal mail, text, voice message, or any other one-sided form of communication.

Sorry, but that is reality.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Mikey 999,

Wow. I don't know how this "I do not mean to be flippant, but have you heard of a phone?" message got past me, but what a rude, uninformed, and totally inapplicable answer you gave. Please go back and read the desired intent: it is for me to RECEIVE all emails sent by certain entities, i.e., "...so that no message from them ever gets filtered." What should I do...call everyone I know every day to ask if they sent me any email so that I can check to see if I received it?

For your information, the emails that I desire to whitelist under all conditions for myself, and by extension for my clients on Office 365, come from the California court systems and from mission-critical clients of my own or my customers. I and my customers MUST NOT have those emails blocked under ANY conditions. Should THEY call the courts and all of their clients every day to check how many emails were sent by the courts or their own clients and compare them to those received by them?

For you to say "have you heard of a phone" is downright idiotic. NONE of those entities is going to CALL every single lawyer to whom an email is sent, just to ask them if they got it. No one I know would call every SENDER they know who may or may not have sent an email each day just so they can compare that answer to what they have received.

What were you thinking when you jumped onto your high horse? Let me be flippant: if you have nothing intelligent and accurate to say, then say nothing. THAT is the reality!

Gregg

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:20 AM