none
MSE version 2011 is no longer running on Embbedded POSReady 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

The newest version of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) as of February 2011, no longer runs on POSReady 2009. It flashes a message that the OS is not supported.

Prior to this update on the installation program it worked very well. This is the version that is no longer running (its from November 2011):

Security Essentials Versión: 2.0.657.0

Versión de cliente de antimalware: 3.0.8107.0

Versión del motor: 1.1.6603.0

Definición de antivirus: 1.99.835.0

Definición de antispyware: 1.99.835.0

I am now seeing a nightmare of update/change this software on all my customers machines, even my own.

What other options we have?

• Edited by solo_software Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:01 AM More info posted
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:51 AM

Answers

•  

The Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) licensing and support currently does not support the Windows Embedded platforms.  We are working with the MSE team to affect change in this area in the future, but we do not have a roadmap for that change at present.  I understand the challenge and will continue to work on affecting this change.  I would ask that you also communicate this issue through the MSE support channels.

MSE is a consumer Anti-Virus solution and I believe they support up to 10 Windows Clients in a small business (please check the licensing to verify), but it should not be used in an business environment with more than 10 clients as that violates the licensing for MSE, irrespective of the current support position with Windows Embedded platforms. The enterprise anti-virus solution from Microsoft is the Forefront product, however the support situation today is the same an we hope to change that in the near future.

Unfortunately, your only other options for anti-virus protection today is to use a 3rd party solution.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

•  

The Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) licensing and support currently does not support the Windows Embedded platforms.  We are working with the MSE team to affect change in this area in the future, but we do not have a roadmap for that change at present.  I understand the challenge and will continue to work on affecting this change.  I would ask that you also communicate this issue through the MSE support channels.

MSE is a consumer Anti-Virus solution and I believe they support up to 10 Windows Clients in a small business (please check the licensing to verify), but it should not be used in an business environment with more than 10 clients as that violates the licensing for MSE, irrespective of the current support position with Windows Embedded platforms. The enterprise anti-virus solution from Microsoft is the Forefront product, however the support situation today is the same an we hope to change that in the near future.

Unfortunately, your only other options for anti-virus protection today is to use a 3rd party solution.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Terry,

I am going ahead and use the MSE channels to make them aware of the need/use we have for it in the POS/Embedded environments.

Yes, up to 10 PC's can be used with MSE and that is OK for our customers, as most of the POS machines on our customers locations are 5 or under.

I did see Forefront, but the infraestructure requirements are too high for them at the moment, and for what you are mentioning our environment is not on their plans at the moment.

Hopefully MSE folks will come back and allow our environment in their future deployments. I will look at other AV solutions out there.

Humberto

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Terry,

Too bad on the MSE support for Win POSReady 09.  As a managed service provider, we were going to sign the redistribution agreement for MSE and drop using our current 3<sup>rd</sup> party AV tool and install MSE on our customer POS terminals. I also know that more than one POS system builder was looking at the OEM agreement on MSE to include MSE in their image build. If you were not aware, most 3<sup>rd</sup> party tools do not openly support the embedded Win OS’s because the system builder can also remove additional components from the OS and that causes compatibility problems. Microsoft is missing a huge opportunity to eliminate the use of 3<sup>rd</sup> party AV tools on POS systems if they would just support MSE on those OS’s. I cannot understand why the Embedded team and the MSE team cannot coordinate their efforts here and have MSE support all versions of the embedded Windows OS.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hello Group,

I have great news for this topic. The newest version of MSE (as of today), will install/update perfectly on POS Ready 2009.

What will happen when you install it:

• It will activate the firewall
    • It will activate the automatic windows updates
    • It will offer Bing as a search provider

I would like to thank the MSE team to enable this software again for POS Ready 2009.

For folks using POS Ready 7, please give it a try and let us know how it went.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Just an update,

You will have to activate the Windows Update because one of the downloads (don't know the one needed) enables the Real Time Protection, otherwise it will be disabled.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:18 AM