none
Server 2012 VM stuck on "Please Wait" during boot up

Question

• I am running Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. All virtual machines are stored on an iSCSI SAN. I have three host servers in a failover cluster.

Yesterday, one of my host machines failed and shut down unexpectedly. Failover occured as expected but the machines which were on that host were shut down uncleanly. One of them was a VM running Server 2012 which runs SCCM 2012.

I got the failed host machine back online and spread my VMs out over the 3 servers again. At this point I had not started my 2012 VM back up.

I tried to boot my server 2012 VM today and it has been stuck on a dark blue server 2012 screen with Please Wait and a spinning circle for 45 minutes at the time of writing this post.

I don't know what's happened to this machine - or why it is stuck. It was shut down cleanly yesterday when the failure occurred. Is there anything I can do to get this VM up and running again?

Edit:

It finally finished booting so I could log on. It took an hour and 6 minutes to get to the login screen. If anyone has any ideas why this might have taken so long (all other VMs are fine and boot quickly) and how to prevent it from happening in the future, I'm all ears!

It's now taking a while to actually login, mind you... stuck on applying user settings... so presumably there's still a problem somewhere.

• Edited by Katrina_Howard Friday, July 04, 2014 12:11 PM Amendments Made
    Friday, July 04, 2014 10:05 AM

Answers

• I have made progress with my server! I'm not entirely sure if what I did had any effect on it, or whether simply being able to boot to safemode helped straighten it out.

I took a snapshot of the server whilst it was booted in safemode (just so I could return to that point if I made the problem worse!) and then I checked out the device manager and showed hidden devices. I then removed all greyed out devices that I could just in case anything in there was causing issues during boot. (I'd tried loading the VHD on two different servers and different VMs). I then decided to reboot the server and try and boot it normally.

Amazingly, the server booted fine and got to the login screen within a minute, rather than taking over an hour. I then tried to login... and it worked fine. Everything loaded ok, all services started. Nothing was slow and I didn't have to wait 5 minutes after every click.

I even shut the server down and booted it up again to double check and sure enough, it worked fine. I then shut it down and deleted the snapshot. I waited for the avhd file to merge with the vhd and booted again... still working!

I'm not sure what exactly fixed the problem- but I'm happy that it now seems to be working ok.

Thank you for all the helpful responses

Katrina

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:54 PM

All replies

• First of all check the event log of the server and see if anything was logged.

Have you tried to reboot the server again and see how it boots?

Gil Gross | Technical Lead | G-Net Network Solutions | www.g-net.co.il | plz visit my blog - gilgrossblog.wordpress.com

Friday, July 04, 2014 11:13 AM
  • First of all check the event log of the server and see if anything was logged.

Gil Gross | Technical Lead | G-Net Network Solutions | www.g-net.co.il | plz visit my blog - gilgrossblog.wordpress.com

Hi Gil,

I made an amendment to my original post. As it transpires, this VM was actually one which was NOT shut down cleanly. It was my other sccm VM which I shut down cleanly, not this one. So this one would have had a dirty shut down due to the host failing and then would have been migrated to another server in the failover cluster.

Once I finally managed to get logged on to the server (which took the best part of another hour) the whole server was slow to respond. It took ages for the server manager to load and I couldn't load event viewer - took 5 minutes for any clicks to respond. When I finally got into event viewer I was able to check through logs ok but couldn't see anything obvious about what was happening with my machine. When I tried to close windows to shut the server down the whole VM locked up with just an empty task bar and desktop background and nothing would reload or respond.

It's now off so I'll try and boot it back up again and see what happens. The VHD is a dynamically expanding one - 200GB. Could it have been damaged/corrupted when the host failed? What options do I have here? Are there any VHD recovery/checking tools?

Friday, July 04, 2014 12:16 PM

Hi Gil,

I made an amendment to my original post. As it transpires, this VM was actually one which was NOT shut down cleanly. It was my other sccm VM which I shut down cleanly, not this one. So this one would have had a dirty shut down due to the host failing and then would have been migrated to another server in the failover cluster.

Once I finally managed to get logged on to the server (which took the best part of another hour) the whole server was slow to respond. It took ages for the server manager to load and I couldn't load event viewer - took 5 minutes for any clicks to respond. When I finally got into event viewer I was able to check through logs ok but couldn't see anything obvious about what was happening with my machine. When I tried to close windows to shut the server down the whole VM locked up with just an empty task bar and desktop background and nothing would reload or respond.

It's now off so I'll try and boot it back up again and see what happens. The VHD is a dynamically expanding one - 200GB. Could it have been damaged/corrupted when the host failed? What options do I have here? Are there any VHD recovery/checking tools?

I'm 37 minutes in to the second boot and it's stuck on please wait again. I'm guessing I'm going to have the same problem with the machine running extremely slowly- 5 minutes to respond to any click etc.

CPU and Memory usage was not at all high though (1.4 GB/ 12GB Memory and about 4% CPU.. so doesn't appear to be resource related.)

I'm not really sure what to check next to diagnose this or what to try to resolve it.

Friday, July 04, 2014 1:01 PM
  • Hi Katrina,

can you try booting into safe mode?

Regards,

Benedict

Friday, July 04, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Hi Katrina,

can you try booting into safe mode?

Regards,

Benedict

Hi Benedict,

I have been able to boot into safe mode. It seems to run better in safe mode- it's much more responsive than it was when it actually booted. Do you have any ideas on what I can try now I'm in safe mode? I'm currently going through the event viewer logs to see if I can find any further information. There are a lot of errors which I'm looking into.

The server will now no longer get to the please wait or login screen when I try and boot normally. It gets stuck on "getting devices ready" now.

Thanks

Katrina

Monday, July 07, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Hi Katrina,

booting into safe mode successfully is great news.

Can provide some more Information on the Event log Errors please?

You should check msconfig and disable unknown Services to check if they are responsible for the Problem, like described here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEsusE1QCEQ

Regards,

Benedict

Monday, July 07, 2014 9:08 AM
  • Hi Katrina,

booting into safe mode successfully is great news.

Can provide some more Information on the Event log Errors please?

You should check msconfig and disable unknown Services to check if they are responsible for the Problem, like described here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEsusE1QCEQ

Regards,

Benedict

Hi Benedict

I have a lot of errors relating to DistributedCOM- starting with Event ID 10016 then 10029 then 10005

I also have some Service Control Manager errors too (Event ID 7001)

I can't see anything dodgy in MSconfig - it's all Microsoft services in there- though most of them are currently stopped- possibly because I'm in safe mode?

I can't find a way to copy/paste the event logs out of the virtual machine and it has no networking capabilities at the moment.

The first Event ID 10016 says:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant local launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {1CCB96F4-B8AD-4B43-9688-B273F58E0910}
    and APPID
    {AD65A69D-3831-40D7-9629-9B0B50A93843}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This Security permission can be modified using the Component Services Administrative tool.

Let me know if you'd like to see more of the events.

Thanks

Katrina

Monday, July 07, 2014 10:21 AM
  • More event logs:

Event 10029
    DistributedCOM

The Activation of the CLSID {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC} timed out waiting for the service ShellHWDetection to stop.

There are several entries for Event ID 10029 with the same message (and same ID in the brackets)

Event 10016
    DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {7E89FF0B-F649-4F9A-A9C3-F05DFAAA3DA1}
    and APPID
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This Security permission can be modified using the Component Services Administrative Tool.

This one is the same as my previous post but a different CLSID.

Another Event ID of 10016 has the CLSID {1CCB96F4-B8AD-4B43-9688-B273F58E0910}

Then I have some Service Control Manager errors after booting into safemode this morning:

Error ID 7001
    Service control Manager

The DHCP Client Service depends on the Ancilliary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
    A Device attached to the system is not functioning.

I have several 7001 messages along the same lines but with different services and/or reasons:

The DNS Client Service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service....
    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service...
    The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI Proxy Service Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    The Netlogon service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    The IP Helper Service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service...
    The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub System service... A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Let me know if you need me to list the rest of the 7001 errors.

Thanks

Katrina

Monday, July 07, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Hi Katrina,

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant local launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    and APPID
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This Security permission can be modified using the Component Services Administrative tool."

As for this error , please refer to following link:

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/01/distributedcom-event-id-10016-error.html

Hope it helps

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Hi Katrina,

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant local launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    and APPID
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This Security permission can be modified using the Component Services Administrative tool."

As for this error , please refer to following link:

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/01/distributedcom-event-id-10016-error.html

Hope it helps

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Hi Elton,

Thank you for the link. I read it through, identified the AppID as SMS Agent Host but I cannot start this service as it says it cannot be started in safe mode. (error 1084)

This morning I have lots of new errors relating to DistributedCOM- all to the below message:

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "unavailable" in order to run the server:
    {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

So presumably all these errors may only be appearing because I'm in safemode- and not related to why my server was taking 2+ hours to boot and login and running so slowly. It now won't boot at all. Instead of getting stuck on 'Please Wait...' it now gets stuck on "Getting devices ready" and never gets past that stage (I left it for a whole day over the weekend and it never booted).

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Many thanks

Katrina

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 9:15 AM
  • I have made progress with my server! I'm not entirely sure if what I did had any effect on it, or whether simply being able to boot to safemode helped straighten it out.

I took a snapshot of the server whilst it was booted in safemode (just so I could return to that point if I made the problem worse!) and then I checked out the device manager and showed hidden devices. I then removed all greyed out devices that I could just in case anything in there was causing issues during boot. (I'd tried loading the VHD on two different servers and different VMs). I then decided to reboot the server and try and boot it normally.

Amazingly, the server booted fine and got to the login screen within a minute, rather than taking over an hour. I then tried to login... and it worked fine. Everything loaded ok, all services started. Nothing was slow and I didn't have to wait 5 minutes after every click.

I even shut the server down and booted it up again to double check and sure enough, it worked fine. I then shut it down and deleted the snapshot. I waited for the avhd file to merge with the vhd and booted again... still working!

I'm not sure what exactly fixed the problem- but I'm happy that it now seems to be working ok.

Katrina

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:54 PM

Katrina

This worked great for me.  Safe mode, remove unused devices, reboot.  Saved my bacon! Thanks for replying with the solution.
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 5:48 AM
  • Thanks for this, It's just saved my bacon, however, I didn't remove any devices.  It was as if the machine just wanted a clean shutdown.  I went into safe mode, did nothing apart from look at the event log and running services (didn't change anything) restarted the server and all is well with the world!! Bizzarre? YES!
    Friday, September 23, 2016 8:26 AM