none
MS Project Critical Task Progress RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Tracking gantt view... I have determined the critical path as well of the project. These tasks are highlighted in red.  

I am currently updating a task that is critical to be 100% complete ... 

However it's turning it green... when it is 100% percent complete I want it to show that this is a 100% complete critical task (in red color) .. 

I have made changes in the bar style.. Am I doing something wrong?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• Purple_Charoum --

The source of your problem is how Microsoft Project determines whether a task is Critical or non-Critical.  By definition, a Critical task is any task with 0 days of Total Slack AND the task is not yet complete.  When a Critical task is completed, the software marks it as non-Critical, as it can no longer affect the Finish date of the project.  So, how will you work around that issue?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:39 PM
  • In addition to the excellent answer from Dale, if you want to still color in red "complete critical tasks" (that sounds like a non-sense, sorry for that...), assuming that the total slack is the right criteria for critical task:

• you could create a custom flag based on the total slack equal to 0
    • then create a new red bar style based on this flag

Doing this, tasks that used to be critical but that are now completed (thus considered by Project as non-critical anymore) will still have the "critical" bar style.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:16 PM