none
Error when adding HyperV data source on Primary DPM to secondary dpm RRS feed

• Question

• I've just set up our secondary DPm server to back up the primary.  When creating the protection group, I was able to add all of the protected data sources on dpm1 to the dpm2 protection group except for one.  For some reason, when adding the data source for 1 of our 4 hyperv hosts, it gave me an error indicating I was missing a required update.  It listed 2 updates for 2008 and 1 for 2008R2.  I've double checked, and the hyperv server in question is R2 and does have KB975354 installed.  

The primary Dpm server has been backing up this hyperv host for some time now with no issues, I only ran into the problem when backing it up on dpm2 from dpm1.  And, the other 3 hyperv hosts added without error.  Why am I getting this error for just the one host?

I did just add the kb975354 update to dpm1 as well, thinking perhaps that was what dpm2 was looking at, but after a reboot of dpm1 I'm still getting the same error. 

• Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, February 18, 2011 1:21 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• I just stopped protection on the DPM2 server for everything, removed the agent for DPM2 from DPM1, reinstalled the agent, and recreated the protection group.  It's now going to start a consistency check on everything, but it didn't give me any trouble adding the vm host data to the group, so I think it will be fine.  I still wish I knew what was actually wrong, but as long as it works, that's the main concern.
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:42 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the Hyper-V Server in question, please run the following from an administrative command prompt and see if WMI lists the required hotfix.

wmic qfe list

If not, that is why DPM is not able to see that fix.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  When running that command on the hyperv host, it does not list kb975354.  However, this hotfix is listed under programs and features\installed updates.  Also, when I try to install the hotfix, it tells me it is already installed.  

It strikes me as odd that dpm1 doesn't have a problem backing up the hyperv host, but dpm2 does error when trying to back it up indirectly.  Wouldn't that mean that dpm1 sees the hotfix as installed on the hyperv server?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Once the data source is protected, DPM does not check for prerequisites again unless you unprotect it and try re-protecting, at that time, you will see the same error on DPM1.

Please try un-installing the fix and try re-installing the fix on the effected hyper-v server. If you have trouble doing that, then maybe open a post in the Windows forum and ask how to get WMI to recognize that hotfix is installed. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Removing and reinstalling the hotfix did not make it show up in the qfe list.  
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Hmm - Not sure what is wrong with WMI, but please see if the Windows management forum can help you resolve that. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/threads

Once the hotfix is listed in WMI on that server, then DPM should be able to protect it once you refresh the agent under the management / agents tab.

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Okay, I never could get the hotfix to show up, and also had trouble installing SP1 on the vm host, so I rebuilt it.  Clean 2008R2 install, with Sp1 applied, and DPM still gives the error that I need this hotfix.  The hotfix won't install on this server, I assume because it has SP1 installed.  

Does DPM need to be updated to recognize that the hotfix isn't needed on R2SP1?  Is this hotfix included in SP1?  If not, is there a different version of it for 2008r2 sp1?  

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Nobody has an idea as to why this secondary dpm server won't allow backup of this particular server's data from the primary dpm server?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi

On the secondary DPM server, backup the DPMDB by running dpmbackup -db, then run the below SQL proc by opening SQL Enterprise Manager 2008 and create a new query for the msdpm DB.

Update tbl_am_installedagent
    Set ServerAttributes = 31
    Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = ‘RELACE_WITH_HYPERV_SERVER_FQDN_HERE’)

After running this proc try creating the PG. Note that this field will be reverted back again by the 30 min refresh job, but should not affect protection for data sources already being protected.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Ok, I ran that query, and it modified 1 line, but then when I logged back into the dpm console and tried to add the hyperv host (through dpm1) to the protection group on dpm 2, I still get the same error. 

I did pull up the table and verify that the line for DPM1 does now have a ServerAttributes set to  31

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Also, I installed SP1 for 2008R2 on both DPM1 and DPM2 yesterday, trying to find out why this doesn't work.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:09 PM
  • I just stopped protection on the DPM2 server for everything, removed the agent for DPM2 from DPM1, reinstalled the agent, and recreated the protection group.  It's now going to start a consistency check on everything, but it didn't give me any trouble adding the vm host data to the group, so I think it will be fine.  I still wish I knew what was actually wrong, but as long as it works, that's the main concern.
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:42 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:41 PM