none
forcing default printer from gpp cse computer based policy using item level tracking

Question

• currently I have 1 policy for deploying printers and under the computer config/preferences/control panel/printers

I have 2 printers set up the exact same way with item level targeting to apply it to 2 different pc's.  so 1 printer for each pc

this all works as it should, each pc gets the correct printer, in the policy each printer has the "set this printer as the default printer" checked and "...only if a local printer is not present" is checked

the above works for 1 pc and 1 printer which becomes the default, not the second printer on the second machine.  it adds the printer but does not mark it as the default

so in the end I want floor a to get printer a and have it be the default printer and floor b to get printer b and have it the default printer

Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:17 PM

All replies

• If it is a computer config printer, you shouldn't have the ability to check the two boxes that you described above.

From experience, the most reliable way to ensure a computer side printer is set as the default is to ensure it is the last printer installed when the user logs in.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:29 PM
  • so to check the default printer on a computer config policy you just need to change the xml file in the policy to default=1, no biggie

then the default printer checked box is checked and the ".. only if a local printer is not present" is available to be clicked

so far this is working for the 1 printer  on the 1 pc but not on the second printer in the policy that goes to another computer using ilt

Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:43 PM
  • > so far this is working for the 1 printer  on the 1 pc but not on the

Yes, it seems to be "working" in terms of "the result is what you
    expected". But this is  rather by accident than by design, because...

> second printer in the policy that goes to another computer using ilt

...as you are seeing yourself: It is NOT working.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Friday, April 17, 2015 8:54 AM