none
How can I delete a copy of Default Domain Policy?

Question

• I created a copy of Default Domain Policy and can't delete it. The copy exhibits the message: "Access is denied" when I try to delete it.

I did some procedures to reset Default Domain Policy, example: "DCGPOFix [/Target: Domain], link the original (31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9) to the domain, modify ntfs permissions, but it didn't solved. 

Please, anybody save me...

Copy of Default Domain Policy

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Basically, we cannot delete the Default Domain Controllers Policy GPO or the Default Domain Policy GPO.

Delete a Group Policy Object

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770893(v=ws.11).aspx

How did you copy the Default Domain Policy object?

The default policies created by the system should be:

Default Domain Policy

{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}

Default Domain Controllers Policy

{6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04fB984F9}

These two policies are built-in policies that define default settings applies to domain users and computers.

Regarding the issue, please check the /%Sysroot%/SysVol/Policies and confirm the permissions are correct and check the Delegation tab and ensure you have rights to delete the GPO.

Check your replication and make sure your DC's are healthy. Run DCdiag and let us know if you find any errors.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Basically, we cannot delete the Default Domain Controllers Policy GPO or the Default Domain Policy GPO.

Delete a Group Policy Object

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770893(v=ws.11).aspx

How did you copy the Default Domain Policy object?

The default policies created by the system should be:

Default Domain Policy

{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}

Default Domain Controllers Policy

{6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04fB984F9}

These two policies are built-in policies that define default settings applies to domain users and computers.

Regarding the issue, please check the /%Sysroot%/SysVol/Policies and confirm the permissions are correct and check the Delegation tab and ensure you have rights to delete the GPO.

Check your replication and make sure your DC's are healthy. Run DCdiag and let us know if you find any errors.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Alvin, I resolved the problem restarting ntfs permissions of the GPO folder. After that, I can delete it.

- Case resolved.

Tks,

Marcelo Oliveira

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi Marcelo,

Glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:10 AM