Slow open / close Excel file on file server RRS feed

• Question

• Let me explain how how our offices servers was setup:

Office A
    Primary File server (physical server)
    - HP BL460c blade server with 8GB RAM and Dual Xean 2.33 GHz (8) processor
    - Windows 2008 x64 Standard Server
    - Symantec Endpoint Security 11 MR4 MP1 (11.0.4010)
    - Office A users mainly accessing this file server.

Backup File server (Microsoft virtual server on a Hyper-V server)
    - Virtual Server with 8GB RAM and 4 processors
    - Windows 2008 x64 Enterprise Server
    - This server only act as backup of office A primary file server. Data is replicate using Microsoft DFS replication. No users will access this server unless office A primary server is down.

Office B
    Primary File server (physical server)
    - HP BL460c blade server with 8GB RAM and Dual Xean 2.33 GHz processor
    - Windows 2008 x64 Standard Server
    - Office B users mainly accessing this file server

Backup File server (Microsoft virtual server on a Hyper-V server)
    - Virtual Server with 8GB RAM and 4 processors
    - Windows 2008 x64 Enterprise server
    - This server only act as backup of office B primary file server. Data is replicate using Microsoft replication. No users will access this server unless office B primary server is down.

Note: Both Primary file server between office A and office B is setup using Microsoft DFS replication to synchronize the data every evening.

Problem:
    1. Workstations with Windows 2000 Pro + Office 2000 SP3 + Symantec Endpoint 11 MR4 MP1a
        - No delay when open excel files
        - Average delay 5 seconds when close the excel file

2. Workstation with Windows XP Pro + Office 2003 SP3 + Symantec Endpoint 11 MR4 MP1a
        - No delay when close excel files
        - Average delay 5 seconds when open excel file. (the excel file is open but not able to click on the cell until few seconds later.)

Note:
    The about problem only happen to both office A and office B primary file servers. But not affecting on both office A and office B backup file servers.

At first we suspect the problem is Symantec Endpoint Security because when we disable the file system auto-protect and we don't experience the delay for the excel files. But come to think about it, the Backup File Server also contains the same configuration without require disable the file system auto-protect in the Symantec Endpoint Security.

Is anyone can tell me how to troubleshoot this issue? Is Windows 2008 Enterprise and Standard version make the performance different? Will Virtual server run faster than physical server?

Friday, March 27, 2009 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

From your description of the Primary and the Backup file server, it seems that the difference bewtween the Primary file server and the Backup file server is only their build environment. As the 2 Backup file server are builit as a Virtual machine on a Hyper-V server, whereas the primary file server are physical machine. Personally, I think this issue may be related to the networkting stack on Hyper-V server.

Would you please post a new thread in Hyper-V forum to see if there is any idea on it?

For your convenience, I have included the link to Hyper-V forum as followed.

Hyper-V forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you have said that No users will access this server unless office A / B primary server is down, and meanwhile the 2 backup file servers are virtual servers on the Hyper-V server.

Could you please double-check if the clients can access the 2 servers via network connection?

Could you please check if the 2 backup servers are connect to the External Network virtual switch on the Hyper-V server, which can make the 2 servers online? If you the services of the 2 backup server don’t expose to the end users via the virtual
    network, I guess the Symantec Endpoint Security software on the primary file server may be the key point of the issue.

Generally speaking, the performance on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise edition and Standard edition make no differences.
    According to our experience, it is reported that several times that some anti-virus applications, such as Symantec Endpoint Protection, may affect the file sharing function on both Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 base-computer. If we install Symantec Endpoint Security as the Anti-Virus software on the Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 file server, this may decrease the performance of the file server.

I found there is a fix available from Symantec website. Would you please download and install this fix on the problematic server to see if it is helpful for you?

Please visit the following Symantec Web site:
    Windows Server 2008 network shares become unresponsive with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 or Symantec Anti-Virus 10.2 client installed and Auto-Protect enabled
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/acb1ac0cabfc43278825746c006bc61a?OpenDocument

Network shares become unresponsive on Windows Server 2008 32-bit with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 Auto-Protect enabled
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008061812370848?Open&seg=ent

If the issue still exists after the fix is applied, I would like to suggest you disable or uninstall the antivirus and then monitor if the issue will re-occur.

For your question "Will Virtual server run faster than physical server?"

A: It depend on what and how many the services that are running the virtual machine and the physical server, you may compare the performance by using reliability and performance monitor on both of the virtual and physical server.
    Hope it helps.

Monday, March 30, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your information. May be my previous post didn't make it clear.

Both Primary File Server and Backup file server are running live. What we did to make sure all users to only access to the Primary file server is we setup the Primary File Server as "first among targets of equal cost" and the Backup File Server as "Last among targets of equal cost". Both Primary and Backup File Servers are replicate data each other online. Just in case the Primary File Server is down, all users will redirect to Backup File Servers automatically. Both office A and B have the same configuration as I just mention.

The link that you provided from Symantec is still having slow open/close excel file after we apply the fix.

Last week we also did a test to redirect all Office A users to access the Backup File Server. No delay happen when open / close excel file for entire week. But the Primary File Server still have the delay open/close issue as what we mention on previous post even no one is accessing the Primary File Server. we are going to uninstall the Symantec Endpoint on the Office A Primary File Server and install the latest update of the Symantec Endpoint.

One thing we don't really understand, why the Backup File Server working fine but not the Primary File Server? We already make sure all the installation and configuration is exactly identical.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

From your description of the Primary and the Backup file server, it seems that the difference bewtween the Primary file server and the Backup file server is only their build environment. As the 2 Backup file server are builit as a Virtual machine on a Hyper-V server, whereas the primary file server are physical machine. Personally, I think this issue may be related to the networkting stack on Hyper-V server.

Would you please post a new thread in Hyper-V forum to see if there is any idea on it?

For your convenience, I have included the link to Hyper-V forum as followed.

Hyper-V forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

• Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Did you guys managed to solve this specific issue?

I have the same issue and running Symantec Endpoint 11 MR4 MP1a

I disabled Endpoint protection but still the lockups in excel (i have specific issues with Autocad)

Thanks in advance!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:06 AM