none
Will DNS record update automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 2008 R2 DC and also DNS on it. I need to change IP address for a few application servers which are IP reserved on DHCP server. (They don't have static IP.)

My question is if the application server's DNS record will be automatically changed if I change the application server's IP. The "Register this connection's address" is checked on application server. 

If it isn't changed, will the command "ipconfig /registerdns " on application server help?

Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Grace,

The ipconfig /registerdns will either create or update a host A/AAAA record within your Active Directory integrated DNS, so yes it should help.

Register this connection's addresses in DNS
    When this is checked your machine will attempt to dynamically create DNS records (register itself) in the zone associated with the connection. This will either be the Active Directory domain your machine is a member of or the DNS suffix listed in the above setting if you have the next setting checked.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by graceyin39 Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, of course. If DNS dynamic updates is enabled, the DHCP server will update the DNS records automatically.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by graceyin39 Thursday, September 6, 2018 5:13 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Grace,

The ipconfig /registerdns will either create or update a host A/AAAA record within your Active Directory integrated DNS, so yes it should help.

Register this connection's addresses in DNS
    When this is checked your machine will attempt to dynamically create DNS records (register itself) in the zone associated with the connection. This will either be the Active Directory domain your machine is a member of or the DNS suffix listed in the above setting if you have the next setting checked.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by graceyin39 Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, of course. If DNS dynamic updates is enabled, the DHCP server will update the DNS records automatically.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by graceyin39 Thursday, September 6, 2018 5:13 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Thank you Leon for your reply!

Grace

Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:43 PM