Load Balancing best practise RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the MS SharePoint Server Best Practises - though it talks about Network Load Balancing (NLB), it doesn't say what is the best practise as to which should be installed first (SharePoint or NLB). I'm writing a guide (the dreaded word we all hate - Documentation) to assist a non-techie in bringing a farm online and I thought I should cover NLB first before SharePoint but have not been able to find a best practise on this. Anyone have a suggestion or am I correct, to cover NLB first? Thanks in advance.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• Personally, my recommendation would be to focus on setting up the SharePoint farm and getting a content web application/site collection up and running before trying to add NLB into the picture. That can be challenging enough as it is, and its really the critical piece of the puzzle for you, so it seems to me like it would be a better approach to ensure that SharePoint is properly configured before setting up a load-balanced VIP for the site with NLB. If you want to introduce NLB first, I would do so with a non-SharePoint web site in IIS on each server, so that the student can get the hang of creating the NLB cluster without worrying about SharePoint. Then let them try to do it again once your SharePoint site is set up. Does that make sense? John
    MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:37 PM

All replies

• Personally, my recommendation would be to focus on setting up the SharePoint farm and getting a content web application/site collection up and running before trying to add NLB into the picture. That can be challenging enough as it is, and its really the critical piece of the puzzle for you, so it seems to me like it would be a better approach to ensure that SharePoint is properly configured before setting up a load-balanced VIP for the site with NLB. If you want to introduce NLB first, I would do so with a non-SharePoint web site in IIS on each server, so that the student can get the hang of creating the NLB cluster without worrying about SharePoint. Then let them try to do it again once your SharePoint site is set up. Does that make sense? John
    MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:37 PM
  • hello

I agree with John: configure farm first, because NLB can be considered as something orthogonal to the farm configuration which bring you additional performance tuning opportunities. If you are interested in NLB best practices, then one of such practices, recommended by MS, concerns using NLB and Search service: if you use dedicated WFE MS recommends to exclude this WFE from NLB rotation. So it is simpler to setup whole farm and then configure NLB.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Thanks guys. In the documentation, I'll set it up AFTER I setup the farm.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:22 PM