Memory usage increases. RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed something that I consider unusual on my homebuilt system. I have Vista Home Premium. The machine has an Asus MN2-SLI Deluxe, AMD 5200+ X2 Processor, 2gb of Corsair RAM, GeForce 7300 video, two 160 gb Seagates in a RAID 0, onboard sound, a pair of Plextor DVD burners, and several other components of even less importance. While it's not a problem, I've noticed that when I boot the machine up in the morning, the amount of RAM being used steadily increases throughout the day, from around 600mb or so  early on, till it peaks near 1200 mb after about two hours. It doesn't seem to go above that amount.    Fortunately it doesn't have an impact on performance, so it's not a really big issue.

Now here's where it gets interesting... If I restart the computer, this doesn't happen. I rebooted about five hours ago and right now it's sitting around 750 mb of RAM in use. This is according to both the Task Manager and  a sidebar gadget. The RAM in use only seems to increase, for some unknown reason, on the first boot of the day. I've looked in the task manager to see what's eating it all up, and dwm.exe seems to be feasting heartily, to the tune of close to 100 mb all by itself.  Still, that's only a fraction of the RAM that's over and above what is being used after a second reboot. It's about 8:00 in the evening right now, and this session of Windows has been running since about 2:30. The first began about 1:00 this afternoon and was at around 1200 mb in use by the time I rebooted. Indeed even now dwm is using about 93,276 kb, and it's at the top of the list just as it was this afternoon.

Anything?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:09 AM

All replies

• I've checked all the usual places to see what's running, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. On the first boot of the day, however, Grisoft AVG (anti-virus) is sceduled to do a complete system scan. That's about the only thing different that I can think of between one and the other. But it doesn't run that long, nor does it use that much memory. Any ideas? Anybody?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:06 PM
  • If you have alot of sidebar gadgets that will eat memory up even whennot in use. You might also want to check your page file.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:24 AM