Why doesn't Xmind launch when a user clicks on a xmind document in a MOSS document library? RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: 32 bit MOSS SP 2007 service pack 3

User: Windows 7, IE 9

Users have a series of files.xmind that require use of the Xmind application to display.

When users were using XP and IE 6, they could click on the file.xmind and the xmind app would launch displaying the document.

Now, they get an error that says

The XML page cannot be displayed.

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and

then click the Refreesh button, or try again later.

------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource

'http://myfarm/sites/...'

------

I ran across an xmind forum article that talked about SP 2010, then someone else said "forget it, SharePoint doesn't open custom applications for specific extensions".

My users want to know how to get this to work, but it sounds as if there is no option?

Just trying to confirm that there is nothing whatsoever that can be done for a user who wishes to click on a file with a special extension to get an associated application to start with that document.

Thank you!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:02 PM

Answers

• I found that if I logged into the server, opened IIS Manager, opened up to the machine running the SharePoint farm, opened the properties for that machine, and then edited the MIME Types to add a new extension and mime value for the XMind document, saved all of that, then performed an iisreset, the result was that the user was able to click on the document in the SP 2007 doc library and have the application open with the document displayed.

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:36 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• I found that if I logged into the server, opened IIS Manager, opened up to the machine running the SharePoint farm, opened the properties for that machine, and then edited the MIME Types to add a new extension and mime value for the XMind document, saved all of that, then performed an iisreset, the result was that the user was able to click on the document in the SP 2007 doc library and have the application open with the document displayed.

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:36 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hey Iwvirden,  what mime type did you put in for the file type..

I have .xmind - application/x-xmind and not getting nothing but the xml error page

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:28 PM
  • I used:

.xmind as the extension

application/vnd.xmind.workbook as the mime type.

I then _had_ to do an iisreset before the user could get this to work.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Just tried that and still getting xml error page.....I have a web and app server.  Would i possibly have to do same thing on app server as well???
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:37 PM
  • I don't know for certain. I would not think that you would need to do that. I frankly was surprised that I needed to do anything at all.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:40 PM