Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Power Shell, I cannot run the 

Get-AdServerSettings

It tells me it is not a recognized as a name of a cmdlet. I need to change my preferred DC

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure you are running Get-ADServerSettings in Exchange Management Shell instead of Windows PowerShell in Exchange server.

Additionally, please do the following steps to select a specific domain controller for Exchange server:

1. Open Exchange Management Console in Exchange 2010.

2. Expand Microsoft Exchange On-Premises.

3. Right-click Organization Configuration, select Modify Configuration Domain Controller.

4. Check Specify a domain controller and  click Browse to select the Domain and the DC.

5. Click OK to save the configuration.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:09 AM

All replies

• You can try to manually change it and see if it helps. Is this is a new build of Exchange?
    Set-ADServerSettings -PreferredServer dc2.contoso.local

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:46 PM
  • No, I recently demoted an old DC, and now I cannot connect to EMC, it is trying to get AD info from old DC
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:57 PM
  • and when I type what you said above, it tells me the term 
    Set-ADServerSettings -PreferredServer dc2.contoso.local is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Is that DC still showing in AD? Check ADSI Edit and delete it from there. Are there event logs on that exchange box referring to 'AD Topology'? This should explain what DCs Exchange is able to speak to or not able to speak to inside and outside its site. Have you rebooted the Exchange box since the demotion?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you are running Get-ADServerSettings in Exchange Management Shell instead of Windows PowerShell in Exchange server.

Additionally, please do the following steps to select a specific domain controller for Exchange server:

1. Open Exchange Management Console in Exchange 2010.

2. Expand Microsoft Exchange On-Premises.

3. Right-click Organization Configuration, select Modify Configuration Domain Controller.

4. Check Specify a domain controller and  click Browse to select the Domain and the DC.

5. Click OK to save the configuration.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:09 AM