locked out of pc after installing steady state RRS feed

• Question

•  

Please help!  I recently installed One care and was attempting to make my home network more secure and up to date.   After installing updates and one care on my PC (hub pc)i downloaded "steady state" and it begain installing.  Maybe since i was bouncing from computers and doing other things I missed something, but after reboot  I cannot access my computer.  Instead of the regular screen that usually I get only enter my password (user name already appears) it is asking for my user name and password.  I have tried everthing from administrator to guest and now locked out. 

Is there a default user and password to access my system? or i can i unistall this from dos prompt?  except for i cant get there either after F8 advanced i think i have tried every option still propting me for my user name.

Can I change another computer in my "ONE CARE CIRCLE"  to be the hub and access it?  I am afraid to try as I afford another computer down.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on a Toshiba Laptop. I have spent an hour on the phone with CC and they advised me to call to Toshiba  which advises me to to Microsoft!  Now were does the ball bounce.    

Please help,  I don't to call anywone that doesn't have the answers.  Not to be offensive but it is frustrating to spend hours on the phone with someone only to hang up because you were giving them answers!

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:27 PM

Answers

•  

Hi walk-curry, thanks for posting here! I fully understand your frustration. After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows Vista issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, I recommend you submit a support incident via the following link:

Windows Vista, No-charge: Unlimited support requests.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=6&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Windows Live OneCare

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=11916

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hi walk-curry, thanks for posting here! I fully understand your frustration. After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows Vista issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, I recommend you submit a support incident via the following link:

Windows Vista, No-charge: Unlimited support requests.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=6&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Windows Live OneCare

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=11916

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:59 AM
  • We have a student and teacher users.  The student users keep getting their locked profiles corrupted and I have to delete the user and import the settings again.  It is getting more time consuming then the problems I had from students hacking the system without Steady State.
    The problem you described I just helped someone fix on Vista with Qosmio laptop (I think Toshiba).  There are some good articles in the knowledge base about the problem.  I don't remember the exact reference.  But when you find it it will tell you step by step how to start the computer in safe mode (I think press [F8] while booting) and how to edit the registry to get Windows to see your profiles again and let you log on to the computer.  This problem had nothing to do with Steady State (but there is a setting to not show the welcome screen and force you to enter the user/password).  If you don't remember those from when the computer was configured there are some articles about how to fix that too.  Of course all these answers assume you can have internet access from another source while you work out your problems.  This allowed me to get her profile working again.  I wish you well.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:39 AM