How to convert OST to PST without Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi support,

Yesterday, my 6 year old son dropped coffee on my laptop mistakenly. Soon after 2 mins, my system got shut down. I was like "WTF just happened?" My dozens of useful data was stored in my machine specially my mails. I immediately called an technician, he somehow recovered the lost data from hard disk and copied the same in external disk but unfortunately my laptop was still unable to operate.

I got my document files, videos, photos and everything. Luckily I got my Outlook backup too. The most important stuff in my machine. Then I transferred the data to my Wife's laptop. She hardly use his machine. Anyway while transferred data from Outlook file (.ost) to Outlook application I noticed, there is a option called Import Data File. We can import only PST file not the OST.

This was again a terrible movement. 

So kindly suggest me how is it possible to open OST in Outlook 2019? Should I have to convert OST to PST or I can replace the OST file in the Outlook mailbox folder location? Will it work thereafter?

Eagerly waiting for the responses.

Thanks and Regards

Sunday, January 19, 2020 6:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am afraid there is no built-in method to convert OST to PST.

Since you are using OST files, you may be using an IMAP or Exchange account.

If you are using an Exchange account, just configure your account on your new computer (Outlook client), all your data will be synced from server.

If you are using an IMAP account, only your messages will be synced from server but not calendars or contacts..

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am afraid there is no built-in method to convert OST to PST.

Since you are using OST files, you may be using an IMAP or Exchange account.

If you are using an Exchange account, just configure your account on your new computer (Outlook client), all your data will be synced from server.

If you are using an IMAP account, only your messages will be synced from server but not calendars or contacts..

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:40 AM