outlook 2010 does not close correctly so i cannot restart it RRS feed

• Question

• I semm to have the same problem as: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010general/thread/ce07b3fb-6b24-4530-9f98-7c536ed5bc7c

When I close outlook 2010 by clicking on X it seems to close (gone from taskbar) but it is still there on task manager.
    When I try to reopen outlook 2010 from taskbar it does not open UNTIL i say kill process of privious outlook 2010 session over the task mananger.

I think it MAY BE related to the problem that outlook 2010 cannot finish the process of sending / reciving mail at my PC because actually one of the mail server is down. But outlook 2007 never had a closing/restartingt problem with that configuration (dead mailserver).

(i have installed office 2010 32bit public beta2 german)

Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:21 PM

All replies

• I had the EXACTLY same problem, and spent 6 hours just trying to download email, using the task manager to close Outlook,  and it was never totally successful.  I've noticed that the other 2010 apps were giving me Adobe Acrobat errors on start-up, so I finally figured it must be the add-ins.  

I finally fixed it by disabling the com add-ins, file -> Options -> add-ins -> Com add-ins -> GO -> Uncheck the boxes, finally works like a champ!  After adding them back one at a  time, it looks like the issue had to do with an Adobe PDF add-in.  Good luck people!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:13 PM
  • I had the exact same issue with outlook, however my solution was a different one. I am running windows 7 ultimate, and using sidebar gadgets. One of the gadgets is called wired network meter. I found that when i closed this gadget , outlook would close properly, and also send receive properly. I would leave this gadget open on the desktop and outlook would not close and my send and receive would hang up. I will leave it closed for the duration of this beta evaluation. I did send a frown to microsoft discribing it throughly.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I have the same problem, cannot close it correctly and finish the sending / recieving. Still trying to find a way to fix it
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I'm also having the same problem. I tried disabling all the addons and it didn't help. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Ditto.  Same exact problem - tried disabling all add-ins and starting in safe mode without success.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Seeing the same issue here.  Send/Receive seems to get stuck with one or two messages left to download.  If I exit the program I still see Outlook.exe in the process list.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Same problem. Oyutlook does not close properly. I have also had send/recieve hang problems as well.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:14 PM
  • I posted a note in another thread that I appear to have solved the issue by removing my msn.com email account and then adding it back to Outlook.  I also disabled all my add-ins, but the problem continued sporadically even with add-ins disabled.  After deleting the msn.com email account and then adding it back I have not experienced any send/receive hangs and when I exit Outlook it exits cleanly.
    • Proposed as answer by John3 Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I posted a note in another thread that I appear to have solved the issue by removing my msn.com email account and then adding it back to Outlook.  I also disabled all my add-ins, but the problem continued sporadically even with add-ins disabled.  After deleting the msn.com email account and then adding it back I have not experienced any send/receive hangs and when I exit Outlook it exits cleanly.

I met the same that error.

Every one, did u find out some good solves?

Because i really enjoy Office 2010 just only one this error make me crazy.

Please. I am waiting here from our forum and also from Microsoft office engineer

please give me a inform on htb.thao@hotmail.com
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:00 AM
  • I was encountering the same error (outlook would not exit cleanly) using the 32-bit beta on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I was able to get the problem resolved by uninstalling the GoToMeeting application.  I couldn't just disable the Outlook add-in for some reason.  Kept getting a message that the add-in was installed for all users and had to be uninstalled by an administrator (which my user is) - not the exact wording, but the gist of the error.  So I uninstalled the whole darn thing.  Not a great loss.

Keep in mind this was the only add-in so I can't be sure if it any add-in or specifically the GTM add-in that was causing the problem and the resulting fix.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Yes, I got the same problem, and I run the office installation again, click repair office, and after repair, the outlook can close properly and and re-start normally so far. Try it.

However I run into the same problem again after fail to update the following window up date: 

KB2092914

KB982726

KB2202188

Then Outlook can't close properly, still stay in the process even I close outlook. I have to end task it before I can open the outlook normally.

I thought I fix it by repair the office, but apparently it doesn't. i have ot look for other fix, and found out why I can't update the above window updates.

If any one know how to fix this, would appreciated you can let me know. Thanks

Later:

I found out how to fix the office update error 646, by going to the following site, and get the auto fix, then you should have no problem to update these office updates.

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121 [Fix It added on 02 July 2010]

By repair the office through the installation dick, the shut down and start up problem for outlook is fixed also. 

• Edited by Gary Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:14 AM solution found
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Outlook closes but leaves an outlook process so that i cannot reopen Outlook until I stop the process. When I first installed it everything worked fine so it has to be something  / update that has caused the problem. Have tried disabling the add ons but no change. Am using W7 Ultimate 32bit.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:45 AM
  • This seems to work for me.  Thank you for the post....
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I went to the add ins and found that if i unchecked the iTunes helper and Outlook change notifier it worked. No more having to kill that damned process!
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Same issue here. However the AddIn was a problem but for this case it was the add in called Outlook Change Notifier from Apple. According to what I read this make changes noticed by the sync of an iPhone to change the contacts etc....

Thanks for the point in the right direction everyone.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Me too.  The Fix it thing didn't seem to help.  Then I went in and unchecked all of the add ins.  Don't think I need any of them.  I suspect the problem is Notes, which I wasn't using anyway.  Loads and closes fast now.  Hope it continues to work.  Thanx
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I semm to have the same problem as: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010general/thread/ce07b3fb-6b24-4530-9f98-7c536ed5bc7c

When I close outlook 2010 by clicking on X it seems to close (gone from taskbar) but it is still there on task manager.
    When I try to reopen outlook 2010 from taskbar it does not open UNTIL i say kill process of privious outlook 2010 session over the task mananger.

I think it MAY BE related to the problem that outlook 2010 cannot finish the process of sending / reciving mail at my PC because actually one of the mail server is down. But outlook 2007 never had a closing/restartingt problem with that configuration (dead mailserver).

(i have installed office 2010 32bit public beta2 german)

me too come on Microsoft provide a fix
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Oh Ya, Apple was my culprit too.  That’s what comes from having iTunes onboard or any Apple device.  I disabled the Change Notifier and the problem went away.  Funny thing is it worked for sometime without the problem.  I still do not know when it decided to quit working.  I don't remember doing any iTunes upgrades or Apple installs lately.  The only thing I can vaguely remember was a website wanting to run QuickTime that was not installed on my profile.  Other users of this PC already had it, but my account profile did not.  I wonder if that caused an update to trigger this problem.

I’m more of an Orange guy anyway…..

Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I had the same problem today, I found re-creating a new Outlook profile stopped outlook crashing and fixed my problem. Worth a try for those having a problem. I did read that some people could only solve the problem, by removing Office and clearing off registry items etc from office and re-installing.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:52 PM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 7 Pro and Outlook.  We ended up rebuilding the entire machine.  Not only did the process keep running, we could not kill it in Task Manager.   This has happened many times before, but most times we were able to kill the process.  I would like to know when MS is going to make SBS 2008, Windows 7, and Office 2010 work seemlessly.  SOOOOOOO many issues!
    Stu
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:39 PM
  • I tried the MS link above with no change in how Outlook operated.  I don't have any Addins to remove so I'm still stuck.  Since I also have hanging problems with OneNote, FireFox and IE, ( the processes hang and don't close when I close the programs ), I suspect this is a MS System problem rather than one specific to Outlook.  I thought the MS link might work but it did not, so I am still searching.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I've got the same problem W7/64 Pro.  Worked fine until two days ago.  Laptop is 3 months old......Amazing...
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:54 AM
  • I went into Task Manager and then to Processes and ended the Outlook.exe.  I'm sure it will crash again though.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I've been following this thread lately since I encountered the same/similar problem!

We run Exchange SBS 2008 environment, and one client with a Windows 7 Office 2010 got an Outlook bug after trying some settings/add-ins and after installing Adobe Reader (not properly). The user is not really sure what started the problem.

Outlook started properly, but couldn't end. The window disappeared, but the process was still running in task manager, unable to kill! Trying to open Outlook again never got a new window, but a second outlook.exe process on the list.

Uninstalling Office was futile - even with the fixes provided by Microsoft! Some registry settings always came back, and Outllook reappeared in its former shape...bugging in the same way!

Then it struck me that it still remembered the profile setting of the e-mail account. So uninstalling Office one more time, and deleting the e-mail profile through Control Pane did the trick!! (Actually, I'm not sure the uninstalling routine was even necessary).

Running Outlook again it entered the same guide as always when You start it for a new user, I just had to rename it with the users domain name (the same that I just had deleted). So, the corruption lied in the settings of the profile!

Hope this can help :-)

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Wonderful! Thankyou! I was getting so sick of using Task manager to kill off Outlook 10 times a day.

Disabling COM add-ins (Options dialog) fixed it. Now opens much fast and shuts down correctly.

Taking out the 2x apple add-ins fixed it for me.  If I take out other add-ins Outlook starts up/shuts down even faster.

/
    Rob Chandler Help MVP http://Helpware.net/ http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:22 AM
  • Excellent. I wasted a lot of time on rebooting to kill the OUTLOOK.EXE process, which was impossible to kill (End Process) using Windows Task Manager. When Outlook got stuck and you would have an un-killable instance visible in the Task Manager, or even two instances if you tried to start Outlook over again, my internet connection was affected and other Control Panel windows such as "Network and sharing center" would also freeze. Neither was my computer able to restart or shut down normally it was just hanging in that process and I had to turn of the computer completely.

I followed the suggestions here removing the E-mail account (Control panel>Mail>Account settings) and recreate it in the same window by choosing New. So no need to uninstall/reinstall Outlook for me. Moreover I unselected all the COM add-ins.

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:13 PM
  • My one client have a similar issue. They save their supplier e-mails to folders on the server as .msg files.

If Outlook is either running or not, when they double click the msg file to open, it opens Outlook as the default reader (On Windows 7). Once this has been done, it seems Outlook puts a file lock on the msg file as it cannot be opened again by the user or anyone else in the organization. The folder where the msg files are kept cannot be moved.

By physically closing Outlook 2010 by means on the Task Manager or Process Explorer, the files can again be opened or the folder moved (to a completed folder, for instance).

A colleague of mine solved a similar problem on a Windows XP box by editing a value in the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. What exactly was changed I have no idea, need to check with him. I tried the solution on the Windows 7 PC (Win7 does not have OE, I know) by adding the items and values exactly like it was on the WinXP PC, except for the keys and values relating to where and version numbers, but had no positive outcome.

Could someone kindly shed some light in this regard.

Regards Jaco Smit Nerds On Site - South Africa

• Proposed as answer by SPN Networks Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SPN Networks Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:12 PM
  • I disabled GFI/Vipre Antivirus Add in  in outlook 2010 and it resolved our issue. 

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:34 PM