Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Samsung EVO 850 to install in my laptop using Windows 10. I upgraded in August from Windows 7.

The software (Samsung Data Migration) keeps reporting errors every time I try to clone the drive over to my SSD. I have run every diagnostic I can think of. I used Macrium to clone the drive but also had errors there. The errors talk about bad sectors, but when I run WD's diagnostic, it cannot find any. I tried resetting Windows 10 (and all the hassle that goes with that), but it still would not clone the drive.

All I am left with is to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD and reload my data later from the cloud.

Is there a way to do that?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi zaphod35,

Cloning the hard drive is not an official method to replace the hard drive and it may resulted in un-expected behavior. Cloning the hard drive is out of the support scope.
    Usually we could refer to the following link to replace the hard drive with the built-in backup tool.
    Video: Restoring your PC after a hard drive failure(The steps should be applied to Windows 10, too)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/restoring-your-pc-after-a-hard-drive-failure#tab=system

Or we may need to backup the important data and perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:49 AM

All replies

• https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 allow you download an ISO to burn onto a DVD can create a USB install drive. Lower down the page is the 'Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?' section. Make sure you got the same version again that was activated. Skip the key at installed then Windows will use the hardware ID of the machine to activate once installed.

Seen another post with a user not able to clone to an SSD, the reply was cloning is not supported (cannot find that post now). Since you have already do a reset might as well back everything up and do a clean install I would say.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:36 PM
  • I used the following process without an issue.

Cloned my system perfectly from an SSHD to an SSD. My SSD was also an EVO 850.

Hope this helps. And works for you too.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/

Good luck.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Hi zaphod35,

I think it's the best to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, for any of your old (Win 7) environment (Folders/Files, applications, settings) are left as they are, after upgrading.
    So, firstly you should correct errors on your drive, if any.

1. Did "(WD) Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" say that bad sectors were in the older drive?

If so, go to next steps.

2. Did you run EXTENDED TEST of "(WD) Data Lifeguard Diagnostic"? If not, select [EXTENDED TEST], instead of [QUICK TEST].

3. Run "Check Disk" with checked both of "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

4. Retry "Samsung Dita Migration" or your cloning software.

5. If bad sectors are found still on the disk, please do Clean Install of Windows 10. 

Regards.
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hi zaphod35,

Cloning the hard drive is not an official method to replace the hard drive and it may resulted in un-expected behavior. Cloning the hard drive is out of the support scope.
    Usually we could refer to the following link to replace the hard drive with the built-in backup tool.
    Video: Restoring your PC after a hard drive failure(The steps should be applied to Windows 10, too)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/restoring-your-pc-after-a-hard-drive-failure#tab=system

Or we may need to backup the important data and perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:49 AM