unable to upgrade from Vista Premium to vista Ultimate (64 bit) RRS feed

Answers

• The two folders that I mentioned, $WINDOWS.~Q and $INPLACE.~TR, are not mentioned in the KB article you referred me to. I have copied out all of the log files in them, but since they had over 2 GB of other stuff in them, I wondered if:

1. The article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927521) was actually referring to these folders, but under a different name, so that I should not be surprised that the folders exist.
    2. The article was not referring to these folders. In this case, I wonder if it is important that the folders remained after the "upgrade", and if it's important that these folders had over 2GB of stuff in them.

At any rate, since I've copied the logs out of them, I will proceed with my next test upgrade after my next good backup. I'll disable all startup programs and as many services as I feel safe disabling, and will try again.

I found an article online saying how to disable startup programs. Is there a similar article stating which Windows services can be disabled and still have an upgrade succeed? Otherwise, I'll only disable the more obvious of them - those that I know ame with software I installed after Vista or features I enabled after installation.

John Saunders | Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 27, 2009 9:58 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi, I'm the customer on this one. The following is copied from the original thread.
    -------------------------------

For the record, I just got through an attempt at upgrading again. This time, I burned the .ISO to DVD and installed from the DVD.

The install took just about as long as last time, and still did not work. I will attempt it again with all startup programs and unnecessary services disabled, maybe even tonight.

BTW, I did find another problem with the installation. During the "Completing upgrade" phase (which took a very long time), my laptop entered "suspended" state. At the time, it was at 64% complete. Chances are that the installation should change the power plan to not cause suspension during the upgrade. The machine was plugged in to AC, so did not need to suspend.
    ----------------------

Any suggestions for what data I should collect in order to troubleshoot this?

Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Hello John,
    Look at the setup log files.
    The location can depend on where you were in the setup process
    This article points to teh different location and that names of the setup log files.
    927521 Windows Vista setup log file locations
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927521

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Thanks. I've copied them.

What's all in $WINDOWS.~Q and $INPLACE.~TR, or rather, what does it tell us that they are still there, and still quite large?

Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Hello John,
    The log files remain on the system, you use them to help determine what caused setup to fail.
    Start by reading the setupact.log file
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:30 AM
  • The two folders that I mentioned, $WINDOWS.~Q and $INPLACE.~TR, are not mentioned in the KB article you referred me to. I have copied out all of the log files in them, but since they had over 2 GB of other stuff in them, I wondered if:

1. The article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927521) was actually referring to these folders, but under a different name, so that I should not be surprised that the folders exist.
    2. The article was not referring to these folders. In this case, I wonder if it is important that the folders remained after the "upgrade", and if it's important that these folders had over 2GB of stuff in them.

At any rate, since I've copied the logs out of them, I will proceed with my next test upgrade after my next good backup. I'll disable all startup programs and as many services as I feel safe disabling, and will try again.

I found an article online saying how to disable startup programs. Is there a similar article stating which Windows services can be disabled and still have an upgrade succeed? Otherwise, I'll only disable the more obvious of them - those that I know ame with software I installed after Vista or features I enabled after installation.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 27, 2009 9:58 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:39 AM