none
Revoking IE9 Baseline RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I took the MS IE9 baseline and applied on a standalone desktop using LocalGPO

Outlook Web Access (OWA) doesn't work after applying the baseline. Basically HTTPS sites are not working.

I want to revert to the original settings. I tried with cscript LocalGPO.wsf /Restore but didn't work.

Can anyone please guide me how to revert to original settings?

Also, is it possible to export the original settings and compare with IE9 baseline in SCM?

Please help!

Kind regards,

Maricar

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:40 AM

All replies

• Maricar;

I wonder if you made some other changes that are impacting OWA. Connecitivity to OWA has been part of our test process for the IE baselines for many years and I don't recall anyone reporting any issues before. The /restore switch replaces your customized local GPO with the default one, there shouldn't be any settings left over from the IE9 GPO. Did you reboot the computer? What version of OWA are you connecting to? What error message(s) do you see in the browser? Open the local group policy editor with admin privileges (gpedit.msc), navigate to "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\Internet Zone" What settings do you see configured in that location?

I performed the following test on a Windows 7 machine that I've never used to connect to my Exchange server before:

1. Connect to my OWA server
    2. Closed IE
    3. I applied our IE computer settings baseline using LocalGPO
    4. Connected to the OWA server again
    5. Closed IE
    6. Restore the local GPO
    7. Connected to the OWA server again

I didn't see any issues with OWA, and I manually confirmed that the IE settings were reverted in step #6. I think something else is causing your issues, what other recent changes have you made?

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Monday, May 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Regarding your other question, the default value in group policy for all of the IE9 settings is "not defined," that's the case with all group policy settings located in the Administrative Templates portion of the group policy tools. The default values in Internet Explorer for the corresponding settings are visible in the Internet Options dialog box, for example, the zone settings are visible on the Security tab if you click the Custom Level button. But manually sorting through all of those settings will be difficult unless you are an expert on all of the settings available in Internet Explorer.

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:34 PM