Cut and Paste Not Working in Windows 2008 Server R2 Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I am working in Windows 2008 Server R2. When I open a network shortcut in windows explorer it does not allow me to copy and paste files or folders. I have Admin rights on the folder. This only seems to happen when I open a path from Network Shortcuts. If I open the network location directly, I can copy and paste.

For instance, the following path does not allow me to cut, copy, and paste.

C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv)

The following path, does allow me to cut, copy, and paste.

\\Ihe-web02tv\employees$

Why is this, and can this be changed. I find network shortcuts very convenient, but I find the way that Windows implements this is terrible. I'd much rather see the latter path in the address bar rather than the path from my users directory.

Ray Pietrzak

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,  

Thanks for your posting.

According to your description, you have a problem when copying and moving the file under the path C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).

Firstly, I want to confirm some questions:

1. Can you access the files under the path or just can’t copy the files under the path?
    2. Did there have any errors or prompts when you want to copy and paste the files?
    3. When you want to copy the files under network shortcuts with the account rspiet, please make sure the account rspiet has the permission to access the files.

To modify the permission of a folder, please go to right click network shortcuts ->security->advanced->add(to add the account to the permission list and choose full control).

Secondly, you can also create a new test network shortcut, and check if the new shortcut has the same problem above.

To create a new test network shortcut, please follow these steps:

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click Add a Network Location.
    3. Follow the steps in the wizard to add a shortcut to a location on your network, a website, or an FTP site.

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by rspiet Monday, September 23, 2013 2:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rspiet Monday, September 23, 2013 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by AnnaWY Monday, October 7, 2013 8:57 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,  

Thanks for your posting.

According to your description, you have a problem when copying and moving the file under the path C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).

Firstly, I want to confirm some questions:

1. Can you access the files under the path or just can’t copy the files under the path?
    2. Did there have any errors or prompts when you want to copy and paste the files?
    3. When you want to copy the files under network shortcuts with the account rspiet, please make sure the account rspiet has the permission to access the files.

To modify the permission of a folder, please go to right click network shortcuts ->security->advanced->add(to add the account to the permission list and choose full control).

Secondly, you can also create a new test network shortcut, and check if the new shortcut has the same problem above.

To create a new test network shortcut, please follow these steps:

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click Add a Network Location.
    3. Follow the steps in the wizard to add a shortcut to a location on your network, a website, or an FTP site.

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by rspiet Monday, September 23, 2013 2:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rspiet Monday, September 23, 2013 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by AnnaWY Monday, October 7, 2013 8:57 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 9:08 AM
  • I do have complete access and permissions to the files and folders of the locations I am trying to access. However, when I tried adding the network location as you described in your test network shortcut, the shorcut shows up as the actual path in Windows explorer instead of the roamin path (C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).

This worked much better and I was able to copy / paste / delete whatever I needed to.

Thank you very much.

Ray Pietrzak

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Okay, the problem still exists. Let me walk you through the exact steps that I am doing when I experience the problem.

This part works great. It is exactly what I want.

1. I open up my computer.
    2. I right click in the right window and then click on Add a Network Location
    3. In the wizard that pops up, I click Next, Next and then type in the address \\Ihe-web02tv\employees$.
    4. I click Next and then give the location the name Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).
    5. I click Next and the wizard tells me that I have successfully created this network location. I keep the check mark by “Open this network location when I click Finish.”.
    6. I click Finish, a Windows Explorer opens with Network => Ihe-Web02Tv => Employees$ in the address bar (this is important). If I click the address bar, the address bar shows the location as \\Ihe-web02tv\employees$.
    7. This location allows me to cut and paste and do whatever else I want in this location.

This is the part that does not work the way I want.

1. I open up my computer again and click on the network location that I created above, Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).
    2. A Windows Explorer opens with Computer => Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv) in the address bar (note the difference). If I click the address bar, the address bar shows the location as C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv).
    3. This location does not allow me to cut and paste. I can created / delete / modify folders and files otherwise.
    4. Copy and Paste are not grayed out in the context menus. They just don’t do anything. No error message is shown. I have refreshed the folder afterwards to make sure that I didn’t just miss the paste, but there is nothing new added.

Can you please try the above and let me know if you experienced the same results.

My operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Version 6.1

Raymond S. Pietrzak | Sr. Engineer, Corporate IT Systems
    ArcelorMittal USA

Information Technology | 3210 Watling Street MC 2-118, East Chicago, IN 46312
    T +219 399 3366 | www.arcelormittal.com

Ray Pietrzak

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • To establish the fact it's a GUI issue, can you cut/copy/paste files using the Command Prompt? Also, what about trying as another user, it could be that the user profile (NTUSER.DAT) has perhaps corrupted.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 9:36 PM
  • I don't have another id to try.

I'm not sure what the commands to cut/copy/paste using the command prompt are.

I did discover something interesting. If I go into any sub-folder of a network location, then cut and paste works as expected. It is not a permissions issue as I have complete control of all files and sub-folders in the network location folder.

For instance, if I go to Computer => Employee Home Page (ihe-web02tv) => SubFolder, I can cut and paste normally.

Ray Pietrzak

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hi Ray Pietrzak,

I had tried the second method you mentioned above, which can copy and paste files normally under the path.

However, you can also try to delete the shortcut of Employee Home Page under the folder Network shortcuts and recreate the same Network Location, then go to check if the files under sub-folder can be copied or pasted normally.

If the issue still exists after recreating, please also refer to this article to fix the issue:

Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309662/en-us

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi Ray Pietrzak,

any updates about this issue?

if you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 30, 2013 9:24 AM
  • I used another Windows 2008 Server and had the same result. Copy / Paste to the Network Location does not work. I even tried a different id. I am going to just use Network Shortcuts instead. Cut, Paste, Drag, Drop works great in this location and it has the added advantage of showing the actual path in the address bar instead of paths like C:\Users\rspiet\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\. I think this is a bug on Windows 2008 server, but at least there is a work around for me. Thanks for looking into it.

Ray Pietrzak

Monday, September 30, 2013 1:55 PM