none
Custom WIM image doesn't boot after install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm stuck for weeks with this problem : my custom WIM image (I made a capture & sysprep after installing specific apps / It's a Windows 7 64 bits) doesn't boot after install on a physical machine but there is no problem at all on a virtual machine...

I have absolutely no error code, Windows only says it couldn't start, a recent hardware or software modification could be the cause. It asks me to repair with installation CD so I tried to repair it but it doesn't fix the problem.

Description of my work environment :

Server : Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V, MDT 2013 and WDS

Client : HP Desktop PC

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:14 AM

Answers

• I did nothing concerning drivers, I thought it wasn't necessary ? I just want to deploy a custom image of Windows 7 with apps on Desktop PCs.

What should I do about drivers ?

You're installing Windows, drivers are absolutely necessary. The only exception is when the hardware is old enough that all needed drivers are already included with Windows. Read the MDT documentation on how to import drivers. As for driver management go here - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Valentin1337 Monday, June 1, 2015 12:09 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:55 PM
  • For HP you should be able to get what you need using the Softpaq - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/drivers-bios.html

As for driver management, the link I gave you earlier shows how to do that. I would strongly recommend following Scenario #3 "Total Control". Using that method you end up only injecting the necessary drivers instead of everything. This method speeds up your deployment since you aren't injecting tons of worthless drivers and also makes it near impossible that the wrong driver will be installed. It takes a little extra time to be well organized but it's worth it in the long run.

• Marked as answer by Valentin1337 Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:13 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 1:37 PM

All replies

• Could be a driver issue. Did you import all the needed drivers and verify that they get injected when you deploy the OS?

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:09 PM
  • How did you create the image?  Was it a standard sysprep and capture using MDT?  Then when you apply the image are you are using a standard task sequence?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:43 PM
  • I did nothing concerning drivers, I thought it wasn't necessary ? I just want to deploy a custom image of Windows 7 with apps on Desktop PCs.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Sysprep has been made myself with Windows utility.

Capture has been made with "Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence" where I turned off sysprep tasks.

For the deployment of the custom image, I use a "Standard Client Task Sequence".

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:38 AM

You're installing Windows, drivers are absolutely necessary. The only exception is when the hardware is old enough that all needed drivers are already included with Windows. Read the MDT documentation on how to import drivers. As for driver management go here - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

• Marked as answer by Valentin1337 Monday, June 1, 2015 12:09 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Sysprep has been made myself with Windows utility.

Capture has been made with "Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence" where I turned off sysprep tasks.

For the deployment of the custom image, I use a "Standard Client Task Sequence".

That is one way to do it, but less you leverage what MDT can do automatically the more work you put on yourself. MDT helps you automate your work and that includes building a reference image. You can find help on how to build a reference image here - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744290.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:59 PM
  • I put all drivers I found on MDT and it worked! Thx for help but I still don't know what drivers are absolutely necessary and what drivers aren't :/
    Monday, June 1, 2015 12:11 PM
  • For HP you should be able to get what you need using the Softpaq - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/drivers-bios.html

As for driver management, the link I gave you earlier shows how to do that. I would strongly recommend following Scenario #3 "Total Control". Using that method you end up only injecting the necessary drivers instead of everything. This method speeds up your deployment since you aren't injecting tons of worthless drivers and also makes it near impossible that the wrong driver will be installed. It takes a little extra time to be well organized but it's worth it in the long run.

• Marked as answer by Valentin1337 Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:13 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Got a new problem now, I don't see all my task sequences (I got a list of 6 or 7 task sequences but only viewing 3 of them, trying to create new task sequences but I can't see them...)

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:05 PM
  • I've seen that happen, try clicking refresh on the right side

Or close the workbench and then open it back up. Sometimes the MMC gets finicky.

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:13 PM
  • What I wanted to say is that I see them under "Task Sequences" but when I want to deploy something on a client I don't see all of them ;)

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Well that can happen if you have 32bit sequences but are running the wizard from a 64bit OS, yes even WinPE 64bit. Task sequences can also be marked as hidden, in which case you won't see them in the wizard.

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:31 PM
  • I didn't mark them as hidden and I don't have 32 bits sequences (I'm working only with Windows 7 64 bits) so I don't see the cause of this trouble.

I updated my deployment share and regenerated my boot image, then replaced the boot image in WDS with the newly regenerated one.

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:19 AM
  • Tell you what since this is a different issue. Create a new thread so you can get better exposure for this problem.

A new boot image won't affect which task sequences you see as those are read from the MDT server. And any time you add new sequences, you do not need to update your boot image. That really only needs to be done if you change the bootstrap settings, add PE drivers or make changes in the PE tab of the deployment share properties.

Monday, June 8, 2015 1:33 PM