How to cleanup winsxs directory on W2K8 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a virtual hard drive with W2K8 64 bit SP 1 for testing purposes and need to keep the size as small as possible. I want to cleanup the winsxs directory to make the sp1 components permanent. The vsp1cln.exe tool from Vista doesn't seem to be installed. Is there a similar tool for W2K8?
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:28 AM

Answers

• Hi sainath,

Quota From Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

The thing to remember is this is really your OS.  Most of the files in the various Windows folders are really just hard links to the same files you are seeing when looking at winsxs.  The files really don't  take up space in the winsxs and one of the other folders, it only lives once on the drive.  But if you look at the folders individually the numbers appear larger than the total disk space consumed

Hope it helps.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Elisa Willman Monday, September 28, 2009 6:30 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:47 AM

All replies

• hi Milan,

thank you for posting in windows forum,

i have answered the above query for one of the customer in the past , please find the thread below

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/82cb7579-d5fc-4339-b663-1da9545b0818

if you have any further question , please post it back.
    sainath !analyze
    • Proposed as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:29 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Hi Sainath,

Thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly then that I can run VSP1CLN.EXE on Windows Server 2008 and it will perform the same operation as it does on Vista? I want to confirm this is correct before I attempt it.

Is there any way to get a copy of the VSP1CLN.EXE except by installing a copy of vista SP1 and pulling out the file?

Thanks,
    Milan
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Hi Milan,

I searched through various sites but didnt get any info about using this utility on windows 2008 , allthe explaination are pertained w.r.t vista.

so i would now wait for our other forum engineers to let us know if this tool can be used on windows 2008 .

If you have a test machine you could try using it .

sainath !analyze
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Hi Milan,

I searched through various sites but didnt get any info about using this utility on windows 2008 , allthe explaination are pertained w.r.t vista.

so i would now wait for our other forum engineers to let us know if this tool can be used on windows 2008 .

If you have a test machine you could try using it .

sainath !analyze

Hi sainath,

As far as i know, VSP1CLN won't work on Windows Server 2008 SP1. There is no
    any superseded RTM files to be scavenged.

• Proposed as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:47 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:43 AM
  • hi david,

thanks for the info , so administrators should go along with the size ? and i guess they need to keep dedicated disk space as winsxs folder keeps growing

sainath !analyze
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Hi sainath,

Quota From Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

The thing to remember is this is really your OS.  Most of the files in the various Windows folders are really just hard links to the same files you are seeing when looking at winsxs.  The files really don't  take up space in the winsxs and one of the other folders, it only lives once on the drive.  But if you look at the folders individually the numbers appear larger than the total disk space consumed

Hope it helps.
    • Marked as answer by Elisa Willman Monday, September 28, 2009 6:30 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Hi David,
    Just to catch up on this thread, I find this absolutely insane. After 6 months of operations at a very very low load, this directory on each of our 6 production servers grows to 10GB. Anything freed up is immediately swallowed by this monster. Than it holds, for instance, over 5GB of amd64 directories while I'm running Intel. Can't I just delete these senseless files? And the excuse that it doesn't actually use space but only consists of hardlinks is wrong - since my disks are full now, and only because of the size of winsxs, there is nothing else of that size.
    Is it really going to introduce trouble if I would just delete this amd stuff?
    Sorry for my frustration, but this side-by-side DLL concept is supposed to be a solution to the DLL H_E_L_L_, but it is a worse H_E_L_L_ itself......
    Cheers,
    Emile

PS - you can use COMPCLN.EXE to clean up superseeded updates, but it won't clean up more than some hundreds of MBs. You won't see any subtantial benefit in the winsxs though..... 
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Emile,

I'd like to share in your sentiment on this. This is a serious issue and I have not seen serious answers. I've actually seen the same responses over and over again which only states the rationale behind the WinSXS directory and that it only contains hard links, not affecting the total disk space.

In a 20GB partition on a Server 2008 machine here, the WinSXS directory is reporting to take up 10GB. Now, whether that is an actual size or a phantom size, it is affecting the final results in that we cannot install Service Packs or copy large files exceeding the reported free space size.

Therefore, it is a problem.

Can anyone offer a fix to this besides allocating an excessive amount of disk space to the system partition?

Thanks,
    Steve

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:38 PM
  • I have the same issue on our 2008 production server.  Runing out of disk space because of the WINSXS directoryI cannot copy large file onto the server either bevause it says the files will not fit.  our external software that monitors disk space also warns us that we are getting low on disk space.  MS must find a way to help us reduce the size of this folder.  This has been going on far to long form them to just sit back and watch. :(
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:54 PM