Setting up team lead as a timesheet manager and PM as a task states approver RRS feed

• Question

• I am using project online and purchased Project premium license for me and Project Essentials license for my team members.

In spite of assigning one of my team mate(with project essential license) as a timesheet manager for another team member. Every time that another team member submits the timesheet it comes to me for approval.

Please suggest how to do desired settings.

I am using Project permission mode and the respective timesheet manager is assigned with resource manager permissions/group.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:55 AM

All replies

• Mandar --

Your organization has purchased the WRONG license for the team leader who needs to approve timesheets.  You would need to purchase either the Professional or Premium license for him/her.

Also, please keep in mind that there is a difference between timesheet approval (usually done by a resource manager) and the approval of task updates (always done by a PM).  When an organization is using timesheets, and have Timesheet Managers set up for approval, here is what happens when a team member fills out a timesheet and submits it for approval:

• The Timesheet Manager for the team member is able to see the timesheet submission on the Approval Center page, and is able to approve the timesheet as a whole.
    • The project manager can see the task updates from his/her own projects and then approve the task updates.

As you can see from the above, the roles are different and the approvals are different.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:53 PM